Thrown off

Thomas Dislich
This post is 5914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After some years riding various 500 - 600 cm3 machines, I've recently bought an XJR 1300.

Model 2005 / 2006, but very low mileage, had never been registered, full guarantee.

Tyres are Dunlop Sportmax D207, pressure according to book : 36 front / 42 rear.

I didn't touch the suspension settings.

My weight is abt 95 kg.

I've driven the bike for only abt 400 miles, always in quite cold conditions.

Since the beginning I was not so sure about the grip on the road, specially on the rear tyre.

When braking the rear wheel blocks very easily, and I had a couple of scary swerves.

Yesterday I went out, temperature about 8°, rainy.

On a roundabout at very low speed abt 15-20 mph the bike just went out from under me and I landed on the road.

There was no oil on the road, it looked just normal.

No big deal, but compared to my previous bikes I just don't feel safe on this one, wonder if it's the tyres?

Or the suspension ?

Or is it just a greenhorn having to get used to the bigger bike?

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could be tyres and could just be a slippery bit of tarmac, you can never predict wet tarmac and thats the worst bit about it.

Ive had dunlops on my R6 and found them very slippery in the wet and they wore very quick.

I now have michelin pilot power and i love them!!! They offer great grip and have given me more confidence in the bike!

Hi Thomas,

207's don't work very good on the R6 compared to other tyres so it could be the same on your bike, or it could be something on the road, are you absolutely sure there wasn't oil or more likely a patch of diesel ?

I know I ran over some this morning mid corner and the bike twitched so I stood it up right and had to strraighten the corner as much as I could (anoying car drivers I'm sure as I had to cut across them - Pulling away from lights onto a corner on a dual lane bit of road.)

• 6 months later...

After some years riding various 500 - 600 cm3 machines, I've recently bought an XJR 1300.

Model 2005 / 2006, but very low mileage, had never been registered, full guarantee.

Tyres are Dunlop Sportmax D207, pressure according to book : 36 front / 42 rear.

I didn't touch the suspension settings.

My weight is abt 95 kg.

I've driven the bike for only abt 400 miles, always in quite cold conditions.

Since the beginning I was not so sure about the grip on the road, specially on the rear tyre.

When braking the rear wheel blocks very easily, and I had a couple of scary swerves.

Yesterday I went out, temperature about 8°, rainy.

On a roundabout at very low speed abt 15-20 mph the bike just went out from under me and I landed on the road.

There was no oil on the road, it looked just normal.

No big deal, but compared to my previous bikes I just don't feel safe on this one, wonder if it's the tyres?

Or the suspension ?

Or is it just a greenhorn having to get used to the bigger bike?

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

I think your problems the tyre pressures, the recommended for my xjr1300 which is 2007 model are 36 front and 36 rear, the 42 pressure you mentioned is suggested for carrying a passenger, which in my experiance would make it bounce around a bit too much, but take the leaning over cornering real easy in the wet conditions as the rain makes me very nervous and in the wet i take the corners very wide and if thats not it have you tried turning your shocks down to a softer setting.

I had D207s on my FZR1000 for a while, they were DANGEROUS. I am an experiencd rider yet it went down twice on me. The tires would let go with no feel and unlike other tyres no chance to recover it. they are crap in the wet, the back-end of my bike would dance around all over the place.

i think they only work on middle weight bikes not light or very heavy bikes. I also had an incident where they were fully warmed up and i stoppd for petrol. The front tyres must have stood in a patch of oil/diesel (like you get next to most petrol pumps) and being hot got contaminated by it, and 500metres up the road i nearly had a major off.

they were cheap - £100 a pair, false economy tho'

if you can get them swapped out now!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online