Diversion 900 strange issue

Boscabouter
This post is 6048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone!

This forum has been a fountain of knowledge, but now I have run into an issue I have not been able to find yet, but that could be due to my not native English speaking... and having some difficulties with frasing technical issues...

I have a div 900, 50K km on the clock, runs and starts like a charm. But since a month or two I have this little issue, mostly on mondays. I start the bike, ride out of town, onto the motorway, and then after 15 km the engine will hold in, it feels like riding with a clogged up airfilter, but the airfilter is as clean as can be... just applying a bit more throttle pulls the engine through this little dip and it will run fine for the rest of the 50km trip to work, on the way home it ever happens.... sometimes in the morning it also doesn't happen if I have ridden the day before, so it seems relaed to being cold, but it is so strange that it only happens after riding perfectly fine for 15km...

Has anybody here experienced anything like this before?

Any clues would be gretly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thought it was fixed, it didn't have the problem for a while, but the night-frost was gone, last night we had some frost again, and this morning the problem was back again....

So it seems to be related to the cold nights... however the bike is parked in a garage... and the problem only occurs after some 10km so the bike should be well warm by then.

Still if anyone has any suggestions they are m ore than welcome!

Thanx in advance

Sounds like your suffering Carb Icing! You'd think that once the engine is warmed up then the problem would not happen, but in reality what seems to happen is that after several miles/km the problem starts happening as the metal parts have been cooled with cold air, until moisture start freezing causing hesitation spots. I use to suffer it on my Thundercat and it drove me bonkers. You can get carb warmers but if these fit the divie 900 I don't know, nor do I know just how effective they are.

Hi all. Ive a 2003 Divi 900 too, 56,000 miles on the clock, runs sweet. I know what you mean with the slight hesitation in colder mornings, i had it a while a go, a touch of carb iceing possible. Check your plugs are good and tight enough, correct gap etc, that hole in there is a trap for wetness and condensation. Maybe because you bring it out of a warmer atmosphere into a cold morning your getting a little of this. Mostly i keep mine outside, sad yes, but garages near here are like hens teeth so she comes in the house on occasion when the weather is very bad.

Hope this is of use to you.

P

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Thanx for your replies, it helps when you know what the problem is, if it is a "normal" reaction due to the temp. then I can live with it, it is not that serious, but I was worried something serious was on its way ;-)

She runs like a charm otherwise, so i'll just live with it, it isn't that cold ere that often anyway, and there is more than enough work to be done on the bike anyway so...

thanks, and happy trails everyone!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online