Thinking of buying 86 fj1200, reserve switch always on

usls_1
This post is 6122 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello.

I live in Tucson, Arizona and am thinking of buying a 86 Yamaha fj1200 from someone who has had it for a year.

He is asking for $1500 firm but I see some issues. The biggest issue may be that he is not mecanically inclined.

Anyway.. The bike runs rough so I'll see if I can find a mecanic to say "it's just the carbs" or "the engine has problems".

That's easy... There is more like... A front fork is leaking. I think that is not hard for me to fix.

There is something that worries me. It can get over a 100deg here. Does anyone run a big oil cooled bike like this in the hot summer? My last bike was a Honda VF700F (liquid cooled).

He says he has to leave the reserve switch on too or it runs bad. I read about the reserve and looked at the wiring diagrams of the bike and see that it is pretty straight forward. Is it common for the fuel sender to fail or am i likely looking at failed wiring (yuck)?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online