Backfires thru Carb

Guest David52
This post is 6108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest David52

I have a new 1100. At about 200 miles it began to backfire thru the carbs. It is very cold natured. It backfires if you push it from a start, expecially up a grade from a stop. (Not that much of a grade). I now have 840 miles on the bike, at 730 miles I had the 600 mile service. The dealership has not been any help, explanning that 1100reds are cold natured. I also feel that the low end power should be better, however I have never owned a bike of this size. Anyone out there have suggestions. I will probably go back to the dealer after the Holidays.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Back firing through the carbs is an indication of the timing being too advanced. There are things that can cause it such as incorrect valve timing or faulty ignition.

Your dealership really does need to sort this out as damage is being caused to the engine.

Guest David52

Back firing through the carbs is an indication of the timing being too advanced. There are things that can cause it such as incorrect valve timing or faulty ignition.

Your dealership really does need to sort this out as damage is being caused to the engine.

Guest David52

Being shade tree I do understand the priciples of the four stroke engine. It has been many years since I was in the shade and a lot of things have changed. I have a clymer service manual that states that the ignition timing is not adustable. However it makes several statements about checking to see if timing is correct. I wonder what one does if it is not? I hesitate to let my dealers mechanic work on my bike as I am wondering how much they actually know. You mentioned damage, I also wondered about that. I live near a larger city and probably will go there to talk with that dealer. Thanks for info. What kind of damage, woodruff key or ?

Guest David52

sounds like its running lean to me, i would be asking them to check the carb settings. Any fuel filters you can check for blockages.

Thanks for the info, I am reading to see what I can find out. I seem to be having more questions as I read. I increased the idle (mentioned in the manual) for a while and that does seem to decrease the problem, however then the longer the bike is riden the faster the idle becomes, even if you warm it up before making the changes. With these dual carbs you have to be able to properly syncrinize them. Something I have no experience (or equipment) as yet. One of my first motorcycles I put together out of a box using a manual, but this was a small bike and this was about 36 years ago when I was much younger and more patient.

I also am wondering about the electronic tac used by Yamaha that I read about. Do you have any knowledge of this system and how it works? The manual just gives you enough about these things to have you scratching your head.

I'd also hazard a guess the valves may have closed up!

dealer should check

Carb mixture

Fuel flow/pressure/float heights

Carb Balance

Valve Clearances

Ignition timing

Def get it sorted quick or you could end with a bigger problem than you have now!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online