steering head bearing race removal

steveralls
This post is 6120 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have tapered roller head bearings on my XJ550. The outer race is a smaller diameter than the headstock internal diameter, as a consequence there is no land showing on the outer race to drift them out. I have tried heating the tube and bashing with a mallet but they won't 'fall out'.

Has anyone any ideas for removing the outer races ?

Thanks

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have tapered roller head bearings on my XJ550. The outer race is a smaller diameter than the headstock internal diameter, as a consequence there is no land showing on the outer race to drift them out. I have tried heating the tube and bashing with a mallet but they won't 'fall out'.

Has anyone any ideas for removing the outer races ?

Thanks

Steve

I just put tapered bearings on an xs, the bottom started off uneven, I was able to take pick (dental type looking mechanics pic) but if youve got no distance between it and stock, thats a tough one. A cat on a chopper board told me a good way to install them that may help reinstallion using threadrod and old race on bottom washer on top then tightening worked great. If you dont mind screwin it up a dremal mototool with cutoff wheel will fit in there. Hope you get it out I prob didnt help much.