Yamaha DT125R "G" Plate 1991 help

phi1
This post is 6134 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I recently got this bike for my first bike.. I was just filling the oil ect and i noticed the chain looked very very slack. So i tightened it to the 3 finger distance as a friend told me i should have. But when i put it into gear it then stalled. I then put it back to how it was and it works fine.

DSC00142.jpg

there is a picture off how slack it was, I have the chain guard missing. I have circled the part i need! Can you tell me what this is called and where i can get the part from?

image1.jpg

Do you think that the chain was alright? I think it's partly todo with that chain guard thats missing, Will i damage the bike without one till i buy a new one?

How tight should the chain be? And if when i do tighten it why does it stall when i go into gear? When its slack it doesnt stall?

If you can provide any help i will be greatful thanks phil!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, I recently got this bike for my first bike.. I was just filling the oil ect and i noticed the chain looked very very slack. So i tightened it to the 3 finger distance as a friend told me i should have. But when i put it into gear it then stalled. I then put it back to how it was and it works fine.

DSC00142.jpg

there is a picture off how slack it was, I have the chain guard missing. I have circled the part i need! Can you tell me what this is called and where i can get the part from?

image1.jpg

Do you think that the chain was alright? I think it's partly todo with that chain guard thats missing, Will i damage the bike without one till i buy a new one?

How tight should the chain be? And if when i do tighten it why does it stall when i go into gear? When its slack it doesnt stall?

If you can provide any help i will be greatful thanks phil!

the stalling is to do with your clutch bite not the chain being to tight. you should aim for 30mm - 50mm of play in the chain. if the clutch isnt adjusted properly you will find the clutch is biting then when you kick into gear if there isnt loads of slack the engine will stall like it has been. you need to wind the handle bar adjuster out till it stops or adjust the clutch engine side, not a difficult job.

The chain guard is there to protect the chain and swing arm from eachother. you can pick one up from any dealers for next to nothing as its a disposible part that should be checked and replaced offen.

Hope that helps mate

Thanks for that help! I am going to tighten the chain as you suggested to the correct movement in the chain!

Can you give me a more detailed idea on adjusting the clutch? As i am new to all this stuff! I am going learn!

Many thanks Phil