660 Tenere problems

rivergypsy
This post is 5801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anyone offer a starting point for a mainbeam headlight problem on my (U.K based) XT660 Tenere. If I run her with the sidelights only..I don't have a problem. If, however, I go to main beam then I have a problem...they keep flickering between dim, next to nothing at all and then suddenly very bright (and not strictly in that sequence each time)...noticeably depending upon the speed/revs and resulting amount of vibration caused... because curiously if I hold a steady 50mph, then they don't play up but if I either drop below or go above this speed then I get the problem?

Also when this headlight flickering begins, the clock lights do likewise and the turn signal lamps begin playing up for good measure as well!!

I've had a new regulator/rectifier and new stator-plate fitted by the way!

My guess would obvioulsy be a loose connection on the main beam circuit?

Any assistance here would be mighty welcome along with any pointers towards obtaining a service manual as both Haynes and Clymer seem to have stopped either printing or distributing books for this particular machine?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's a good idea to check the earths and make sure their clean and tight. Next any loose connections on the loom will cause problems and then after that has the bulb got loose?. All else failing how about changing the headlight switch.

It's a good idea to check the earths and make sure their clean and tight. Next any loose connections on the loom will cause problems and then after that has the bulb got loose?. All else failing how about changing the headlight switch.

Yo Yoda.

Thank you for that. I have wondered about earth problems as it goes. The real reason for posting my woe, however, was to see if similar/the same- problems had been experienced by previous 660 owners, thus cunningly offering me a shortcut to the possible crux of a familiar tenere niggle rather than taking the long (read-try it and see) way around the 'electrical' block, as it were :(

You're right in your advice though, and it will be heeded/explored at the first available.

Take good care m'man.

Rivergypsy.

• 6 months later...

hi mate you have def got a bad connection.....normaly bad earth.....got a full service manual for my xtz 750 of a guy on ebay....its on cd ....very handy to have ....just type in what you want and this guy will sure to have one.....regards martin.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online