XJ600 Starter Clutch replacement

pyromancy5
This post is 5967 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I took off the starter and I can see there are teeth missing off the starter clutch (the big side of the gear with little teeth). I can see there is an inch gap where the gear has been sheared. When i got the bike, the guy gave me the part to put in, just a gear and a pin to hold it in place.

will i have to just take the case cover off or am I going to have to split the case?

How likely is it that other damage is inside?

How can i make sure those gear teeth aren't floating around my engine causing damage?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I now know that the part I'm fixing is the Idle wheel, which connect the starter to the starter clutch shaft) Well today was interesting. I got advice from a shop saying I could take off the clutch case and clutch to have access to the aforementioned part. I take it all off and find my self face to face with nothing but a small compartment divided by case from my Idle wheel. sh!t i can see it. there is a small hole, and i can touch it. but there is NO WAY to remove it without pulling the engine and splitting the case. I was told that this is a large reason why people sell these bikes, because they done want to cough out the $200us to get an new starter clutch. Time to get my hand dirty i guess. any any tips. i'd like to hear em.

Putting the clutch pressure plate back on turned into a whole new problem as well. It turns out that the 5 bolts that hold the springs in place were the wrong type. In stead of being hardened steel, it was made out of softer stainless steel. One of the bolt torqued off around 15 ft lb., when they should be torqued to about 80 ft lb. I had to drill it and use an easy out. No problems. parts on order, and now I am also re building my front break.