yzf750 help needed

bhhacker
This post is 6148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently bought a 96 yzf750. it only has 9k miles on it, and after cleaning the carbs it runs and idles well, but the tach keeps going up to 7k on its own...like a code or something. Anyone know what that means? Also, I have to dump the clutch around 4-5k in order to take off, otherwise it just sputters at like 1.5k rpms and then dies when i stop giving it gas. Im assuming thats the exup acting up? When i first turn on the bike, should i be able to hear or see the exup do anything? thank you for your guys time.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Indeed it is indicating a fault code.

tacho inicates rpm for 2 secs, then fault for 2 secs, then nothing for 2 secs, then repeats.

7 is the code for a faulty EXUP valve.

I geuss from what you mention that it is stuck closed, check it's free to rotate, check the cables,

if left it will strain the servo, if left to long the nylon gears inside the servo will strip and you'll have to get another one.

Indeed it is indicating a fault code.

tacho inicates rpm for 2 secs, then fault for 2 secs, then nothing for 2 secs, then repeats.

7 is the code for a faulty EXUP valve.

I geuss from what you mention that it is stuck closed, check it's free to rotate, check the cables,

if left it will strain the servo, if left to long the nylon gears inside the servo will strip and you'll have to get another one.

I adjusted the cables but they still seemed pretty loose. My mechanic friend thinks he can get the exhaust in the open position for now until i get new cables/servo off of ebay or something.