XS250 Stuck cylinder block

Starchaser
This post is 6148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello people,

I am rebuilding a 1978 XS250, all done bar the engine. My problem is dismantling the engine, I have removed the top end down to the cylinder barrels but the block just will not budge.

I based it with a rubber hammer, tried using wedges but no joy. I tried leavering it but just managed to damage a couple of cooling fins. Any ideas?

Thanks

CLP

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello people,

I am rebuilding a 1978 XS250, all done bar the engine. My problem is dismantling the engine, I have removed the top end down to the cylinder barrels but the block just will not budge.

I based it with a rubber hammer, tried using wedges but no joy. I tried leavering it but just managed to damage a couple of cooling fins. Any ideas?

Thanks

CLP

sounds like they are corroded on the block studs. put diesel down the tubes and leave for a few weeks. if that don't work you may have to scrap the barrels (ie hack it off) and get yourself a new set off ebay. (you can do that whilst you are waiting for the "penetration" to happen) I think that there is one on ebay now for breaking.

I agree that they are corroded in. You can buy a specfic penetrating fluid in good tool stores or garages and drip[ it down into the join.

Another way of seperating the crank case and barrel is to heat the aluminium crankcase while keeping the barrel cold, therefore it might release due to expansion.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online