XS400 Idle problems

bralkan
This post is 6086 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sometimes it will idle and then slowly die. Othertimes, it won't idle at all and I have to keep the throttle open, just a bit. I have to leave the choke open as well (idle jet prob?!). The Idle adjustment screw on the bottom of the carbs doesn't seem to help much in maintaining any kind of idle, let alone one at 1200rpm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-John

PS - I am a noobie, but quick and willing to learn.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sometimes it will idle and then slowly die. Othertimes, it won't idle at all and I have to keep the throttle open, just a bit. I have to leave the choke open as well (idle jet prob?!). The Idle adjustment screw on the bottom of the carbs doesn't seem to help much in maintaining any kind of idle, let alone one at 1200rpm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-John

PS - I am a noobie, but quick and willing to learn.

take the Idle adjustment screw out and if it is blunt (ie not pin sharp) the bottom part has snapped off in the carb preventing any mix on idle. ( very common as I've seen loads)

if it is sharp, you have a bockage in the pilot system and the carb needs stripping

also try balancing the carbs and setting timing and valves correctly as that will be the next easiest

take the Idle adjustment screw out and if it is blunt (ie not pin sharp) the bottom part has snapped off in the carb preventing any mix on idle. ( very common as I've seen loads)

if it is sharp, you have a bockage in the pilot system and the carb needs stripping

also try balancing the carbs and setting timing and valves correctly as that will be the next easiest

When you are talking about the idle adjustment screw, are you talking about the screw on the bottom of the right hand-side of the carb?

I backed it off and it looks rounded, not pin sharp. But I don't see how it could have broken anything off in the carb - it just seems to move a lever up and down..

Now, I don't know what I am really looking at. I have a Haynes but it hasn't been much help.

Also, the carbs were cleaned about 2 months ago. Had the two jets and floats replaced. It had to basically sit for 2 months after that because of ignition system problems (waiting for parts stinks).

Thanks again.

When you are talking about the idle adjustment screw, are you talking about the screw on the bottom of the right hand-side of the carb?

I backed it off and it looks rounded, not pin sharp. But I don't see how it could have broken anything off in the carb - it just seems to move a lever up and down..

Now, I don't know what I am really looking at. I have a Haynes but it hasn't been much help.

Also, the carbs were cleaned about 2 months ago. Had the two jets and floats replaced. It had to basically sit for 2 months after that because of ignition system problems (waiting for parts stinks).

Unless you have other than 1980 carbs, the idle mix screws are on top of the carbs under brass plugs as they were designed to not be adjustable. Not idling could of course be many things, but start by making sure there are no vacuum leaks. Unless they have been replaced, check the vacuum piston diaphrams, as they wear out and leak. You can get them on ebay or you can get the piston and diaphragm from mikesxs.com (the later xs650's use the same bs34 carb as the 1980 xs400). Also check the carb holders as they tend to crack and leak also.