Sealed beam headlamp questions

price81
This post is 6014 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 Enduro DT100. Recently, the old sealed beam headlamp burnt out so I replaced it with another 6V 5 3/4 inch bulb. They were the exact same type so I figured to have no problems. After 3 days of driving it (only in the daytime), I noticed that both the high and low beams were burnt out. I didn't notice this earlier because I hadn't driven at night. The output from the battery and headlamp plug while running is about 18 volts.......any clue why? When the engine is off, the old battery reads 3V. Is there any chance a spike caused this burn out of both high and low beams? What should I do before I put in another new sealed beam? Help, please!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1980 Enduro DT100. Recently, the old sealed beam headlamp burnt out so I replaced it with another 6V 5 3/4 inch bulb. They were the exact same type so I figured to have no problems. After 3 days of driving it (only in the daytime), I noticed that both the high and low beams were burnt out. I didn't notice this earlier because I hadn't driven at night. The output from the battery and headlamp plug while running is about 18 volts.......any clue why? When the engine is off, the old battery reads 3V. Is there any chance a spike caused this burn out of both high and low beams? What should I do before I put in another new sealed beam? Help, please!

Those values mean only that the voltage regulator is shot and the battery is cooked. Have the regulator fixed first.

Those values mean only that the voltage regulator is shot and the battery is cooked. Have the regulator fixed first.

This was my first thought as well however, I believe that only in models after the DT100's are there voltage regulators....any other suggestions?

This was my first thought as well however, I believe that only in models after the DT100's are there voltage regulators....any other suggestions?

Sorry I do not have a wiring diagram for your model. There has to be some sort of voltage regulation. Lead acid batteries do not like to be overcharged. We are talking here of 2.23 Volt per cell to keep it at least in a good condition. I suppose that 2.5 volt per cell max i probably allowed but then the electrolyte will be cooked off chop-chop