Question about carburators

Oakla7
This post is 6172 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1981 550 maxim. It has been sitting for some time. I'm pretty confident that the carbs, from sitting, have gotten a little gummed up. I took them apart, cleaned them and have been able to get it started. But it won't idle. You have to nurse the throttle and it very erratic. some times you can keep it going for ten minutes. Sometimes it will quit as soon as the ether wears out. It needs about 3/4 throttle to stay running and at times it will rev up on it's own. Fuel seems to flow freely. I think I have a vacumn problem., but any, ANY, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marc Smith

Cleveland ,Ohio

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks, for the reponse. I'm new and it's good to know someone out there is listening. I think I'm going to take her apart again (Gently) And start with "A" and then see if I get a better result before the snow flies.

Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere....

Make sure to also check for cracks or tears in the rubber manifolds between the carbs & the cylinderhead.

Used to ride a 550 Seca for about 13 years......pretty familiar with those carbs.

PM me if ya need any assistance. ;)

BTW.... :welcome: to the forum Marc

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online