RESERVE / ON / PRIME SWITCH

SophicMan
This post is 6122 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Hmmm this could be bad - On Prime gas will flow to the carbs and if the needle valves aren't too good you could end up with an engine full of a lovely mixture of oil and petrol - thats what the guy had done to my Suzuki before I got it - and I had to drain and flush the engine before I could use it!

You might want to pull your dipstick out and smell it to see if any petrol has got into the engine.

Yeah no problem if:

1. Your tank is clean (ie no bits of rust) coz the reserve takes fuel from the bottom of the tank where the cr**p is (you may consider an in-line filter).

2. You do keep a check on fuel as when its gone, its gone!!

Good luck

:rolleyes:

Ok I'm good. Leaving it on run. Thankfully it started.

Robert

Hi

Hmmm this could be bad - On Prime gas will flow to the carbs and if the needle valves aren't too good you could end up with an engine full of a lovely mixture of oil and petrol - thats what the guy had done to my Suzuki before I got it - and I had to drain and flush the engine before I could use it!

You might want to pull your dipstick out and smell it to see if any petrol has got into the engine.

Yeah no problem if:

1. Your tank is clean (ie no bits of rust) coz the reserve takes fuel from the bottom of the tank where the cr**p is (you may consider an in-line filter).

2. You do keep a check on fuel as when its gone, its gone!!

Good luck

:rolleyes:

Ok I'm good. Leaving it on run. Thankfully it started.

Robert

yep keep it on run as there is a vacuum tap which prevents fuel flow when engine is off.

• 3 weeks later...

you like answering your own posts! :)

yep keep it on run as there is a vacuum tap which prevents fuel flow when engine is off.

I believe this was fitted to prevent flooding the inlet tract ( due to being left on the side stand and the float needle not seating correctly ) and causing a hydraulic lock - lots of damage when you try to start it !

• 1 month later...

I purely keep it away from reserve if possible because my bike is an older one and I don't trust the tank and I don't have a fuel gauge so it's far too easy for me to run it dry!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online