r1 oil issue

pazaryan
This post is 6019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys,

i got some strange oil problem with my R1 '01 (24000km). Last time i had an oil refill it was 2000km ago. The light is now again on red. This morning I had to add another 400cc of engine oil to bring it to the max level again.

Anybody has suggestions what could be the problem. I drive very often on cold cuz i live in a small city where everything is nearby. Could this be the problem? Although I have the bike for 1,5 years and this wasn't an issue before. There is no sign of leaking or anything. The bike pulls normal.

thnx in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I also have some strangeness with my oil on a 01 R1. The level is between the min and max however I have the oil light come on and then go off 30 sec later.

Should the oil always be kept at the max?

I also have some strangeness with my oil on a 01 R1. The level is between the min and max however I have the oil light come on and then go off 30 sec later.

Should the oil always be kept at the max?

Not at the max line but just under, had the same problem when i got the bike almost 4 years ago, have to keep in just under the line to keep the oil light off.

The R1 motors are notorious for having porous crankcases therfore oil usage is high or can be. Yamaha will inform you that this is within there tolerances.

This is becoming a problem with nearly all motor manufactures as they make there crankcases thinner for cost and weight saving.

I always carry about 250ml if i'm going on a long journey as theres nowt worse than the red light coming on when your flooring it.

Hope this helps

It's a real pain when you see it, you back off and then the bloody thing goes off! I gues the only thing to do is keep at around the max level to stop the oil light thinking it's a cyclist's rear LED :)

Thanks

you back off and then the bloody thing goes off!

Oil level light or oil pressure light? If its the level then it might be faulty. Have you checked the crankcase breather pipes for blockage? If there is a blockage, oil might be staying in the head rather than returning.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online