filling new battery with acid

janlancs
This post is 6101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:D Hi, I've just bought a new Varta battery on- line, it came without the acid. I have bought the acid but as I haven't

done this before, (and I'm female :rolleyes: ) I would welcome some tips please ?

Do I need a funnel,? or is there some kind of filling device ? or would I be better asking a local garage to do it ? :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just add it equally to all cells , charge for 24hrs and bob's your uncle.

Adam.

I was always told new batteries didn't need charging after filling. I would suggest letting it stand overnight before using and checking the level again in the morning. (Air bubbles get trapped between the plates and you want those to go before you try and drag an engine starting current through it. Tapping gently on the floor during filling may help to dislodge the bubbles if you can't wait overnight. Put the plugs/stoppers in the cells before attempting to tap it down though!)

Cover the terminals of your old battery (E.g. with insulating tape or the insulating covers that came with the new battery) just in case it gets thrown in the shed and someting metallic gets dropped on top of it.

Hi - Good to hear you are getting your hands dirty- and you're a girl!!!

Seriously - is the acid you have obtained neat or diluted - coz it needs to be at a specific gravity for batteries, if it has been supplied ready for the battery you are probably ok. A word of caution battery acid is nasty stuff and will eat through your clothes at the very least, trust me.....I know! so be careful when filling - then as above advice:

1. Fill between max and min levels

2. Let it stand overnight.

3. Trickle charge it for a good few hours.

4. Fit and enjoy!

Good luck.

:rolleyes:

:D Thanks for all your replies guys!

Fosdyke - I said 'female' - I think 'girl' might be stretching the imagination somewhat :icon_rolleyes::biglaugha:

I'm, going to 'have a go' at the weekend, the acid was bought from the car accessory shop (they told me it's deadly stuff) it's ready to use, so have already got some goggles, a mask and gloves in garage so should be ok :unsure::rah:

Thank you all

Jan :wavey:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online