DT125 Wiring harness

jack c
This post is 5987 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, first post so hello all.

Just bought myself a little DT125 to rebuild as its a bit tatty, its a 1990 H-reg. With the bike I got a spare engine thrown in but its from a 2002 bike. Will the engine fit stright in? And will the parts be interchangable?

The other question was the later engine has the power valve assembly and control unit still conected and I want to use that on the bike but i have noticed that the connections for the control unit are different. Would it be possible to buy a wiring harness from a later DT and fit it to my bike? Would i also need to buy a CDI unit for this? Or would it be easier to get a control unit which fits the existing harness?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, first post so hello all.

Just bought myself a little DT125 to rebuild as its a bit tatty, its a 1990 H-reg. With the bike I got a spare engine thrown in but its from a 2002 bike. Will the engine fit stright in? And will the parts be interchangable?

The other question was the later engine has the power valve assembly and control unit still conected and I want to use that on the bike but i have noticed that the connections for the control unit are different. Would it be possible to buy a wiring harness from a later DT and fit it to my bike? Would i also need to buy a CDI unit for this? Or would it be easier to get a control unit which fits the existing harness?

Thanks

Hmmm. You may find that other things may also be different between the two engines. (E.g. generator; ignition pickup; temp sensor.) I'd be tempted to keep an engine with it's original CDI, reg/rectifier and loom; if the connectors are different then there is probably a reason why. (The powervalve may require completely different ignition/control components that are not interchangeable with the earlier bike.)

Also, if you are planning on riding this on the road, it may affect your insurance if you inform them that the engine is different. What's wrong with the original engine? If it's just that the piston/rings are worn, I'd be tempted to get a pattern piston kit instead of trying to fit the new engine. (Sell the later engine; use the proceeds to fix the original engine.)

If it's just for field use, the later engine would be better I suspect. Get hold of the wiring diagrams for both bike models for comparison. I think getting a loom for the 2002 engine would be your best bet if you choose this route.

• 4 weeks later...

I just changed my DT125 (1997) wiring harness the other month. They're so brittle. It's beyond repair. In our place, they don't sell 2 stroke parts anymore to discourage 2 stroke motorcycles. However, they have a lot of old stock of different 2 stroke models, particularly RS100. Most of the parts of this model fit the DT125, including the electrical wire harness. However, there are some modifications to be done. I bought the RS100 rectifier instead of using the original. I also tapped the wires for the CDI since the connectors are completely different.