98 pw80

This post is 6078 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 98 pw80 i bought about 3 weeks ago it was running like shit after i cleaned the carb jets an i juss bought a whole new carb an it fireds right up now the only thing is when i full throttle it in every gear it like bogging out so i have to let off the throttle to get it moving any one have any idea what i could do to get it running right please let me know thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a 98 pw80 i bought about 3 weeks ago it was running like shit after i cleaned the carb jets an i juss bought a whole new carb an it fireds right up now the only thing is when i full throttle it in every gear it like bogging out so i have to let off the throttle to get it moving any one have any idea what i could do to get it running right please let me know thank you

When you say bogging, do you mean that the motor will rev highly and then start to slow down and begin labouring? If so then your high end mixture is too lean. If the motor on full throttle transitions nicely from idle to mid range and then starts to labour without getting to max revs, making a cyclic laboured sound like a 4 stroke ("4-stroking") then you are what's called "burbling rich" on the high end. Before adjusting this, check the choke mechanism as more often than not, this latter is caused my the choke mechanism being stuck on.

Also if it is this check the exhaust hasn't become coked up. A restrictive exhaust on these engines can unbalance mixture tuning / timing and make settings highly sensitive.

i had the same problem with a used '99 pw80 i bought. my solution although not the technical one was to buy another carb online from the dealer near me. i believe it was around $70. i stuck it on and the bike ran like new from that point on. was happy with the choice i made each time i gave it one kick and it started up and purred like a kitten. sorry i should have read the second half of your email you may want to take it back and try another carb if you can return it. may be less frustration based on my experience with the replaced carb. originally i dissected mine and wasted a shitload of riding time before doing what you did and buy a new one. that solved it all.