Running-in advice for a Newbee

The Man from Monmouth
This post is 5977 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm new to biking and have just ordered a new FZ6 as my first real bike after passing my test. Would be grateful for any advice on running in the engine (rev limits etc) and scrubbing in new tyres. Also, as the bike will be mainly used as a get-to-work-weapon (about 50 miles a day) what is the feeling regarding scottoilers?

Many thanks - glad to be here at last (nearly 40 and this is part of a well planned mid0life crisis!)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Plenty of revs....but don't load the engine. Plenty of opening throttle.....and closing throttle via deceleration.

Vary speeds, gears, different road types, and warm it up thoroughly first.

Make sure the first service is done at the right time, cos that oil will have turned to shit by then.

Do not run it in too slowly!

Before you even get the FZ6 on the road, fit a front mudguard extender and a rear hugger. (As reccomended by another FZ6 owner I know. Keeps the crud off the shiny bits.) A scottoiler would also be a good investment if you're doing that kind of mileage.

Tyres and brakes will be all shiny & slippery, so don't tailgate anything until both are bedded in. The user manual will also say "before riding, check daily ....." blah, blah. This isn't a bad idea; if your dealer does the PDI properly, there shouldn't be a problem, but worth doing especially as it's just been taken out of a crate & bolted together.

Variation is the name of the game in running in the eingine, as per Xtreme's post. I.e. don't stick it in top gear & ride at 70 all day.

Perfect time of year to put a new bike on the road; Not! Enjoy it, you lucky devil!!

I did the exact same thing, get a new FZ6 after passing test. Love it so far, for first 600-1000 miles its reccommended not to reve more than 6000 rpm and go steady on the brand new types until they're properly worn in. Happy riding! :D

• 4 months later...

Before you even get the FZ6 on the road, fit a front mudguard extender and a rear hugger. (As reccomended by another FZ6 owner I know. Keeps the crud off the shiny bits.) A scottoiler would also be a good investment if you're doing that kind of mileage.

Tyres and brakes will be all shiny & slippery, so don't tailgate anything until both are bedded in. The user manual will also say "before riding, check daily ....." blah, blah. This isn't a bad idea; if your dealer does the PDI properly, there shouldn't be a problem, but worth doing especially as it's just been taken out of a crate & bolted together.

Variation is the name of the game in running in the eingine, as per Xtreme's post. I.e. don't stick it in top gear & ride at 70 all day.

Perfect time of year to put a new bike on the road; Not! Enjoy it, you lucky devil!!

Bit late for a reply, but:

ditto on the mudguard extender.

the 600 is made to a budget, alloy could be better so keep it clean and protect it from the elements as much as possible.

be careful what you use to clean the bike - yamaha recommend some autoglym products, fs365 is supposed to hold grime at bay...

scottoiler would be a good move too, that oil keeps the salt at bay a little too...