***I need help, please***

xvirago
This post is 5950 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can someone please help me? I put a new starter in my virago and it won't start. The starter is brand new and I can here it turn but it won't start? Any suggestions?

Is the engine turning, or is the starter merrily spinning on its own? What do you hear?

The starter is just spinning. It's not turning the motor.

Do you know if it's an inertia engage type? What was wrong with the last starter?

I'd take another look & make sure that it's fully engaged into the housing; maybe it's not making contact with the starter gear. Does this starter have one or two electrical connections?

• 7 months later...

I am have a similar problem. The starter engages for a second and then disengages. I have not had a chance to look at it but was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I am have a similar problem. The starter engages for a second and then disengages. I have not had a chance to look at it but was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I found the problem. Taking the housing off I found the gear that engages the starter was worn and missing some parts. Some call it a starting gear or a jack gear. It uses a chain type belt to turn the engine over. Repaired that and problem solved.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online