600r brake bleeding

01yzf600r
This post is 5860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright here is the problem i have a 2001 yzf 600r and i was going to go change my brake fluid. i got all of the fluid out of the front brakes and the resivior. so i went to put new fluid in it and now the brakes will not pump up no matter what. I tried to bleed them the old fashion way it didnt work, i cant get the lever to pump up. then i tried to put a hose on the bleeder screw and pump the brakes until bubbles stop comming out. the bubbles quit comming out but still no brake lever. then today i went and got a brake bleeder. i hooked it up and took all of the air out i thought it was working great. but still no brake lever pressure. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright here is the problem i have a 2001 yzf 600r and i was going to go change my brake fluid. i got all of the fluid out of the front brakes and the resivior. so i went to put new fluid in it and now the brakes will not pump up no matter what. I tried to bleed them the old fashion way it didnt work, i cant get the lever to pump up. then i tried to put a hose on the bleeder screw and pump the brakes until bubbles stop comming out. the bubbles quit comming out but still no brake lever. then today i went and got a brake bleeder. i hooked it up and took all of the air out i thought it was working great. but still no brake lever pressure. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!

A trick i was told, was to pull back the brake lever and tie it up and leave a few days.

Any air bubbles trapped, will work their way to the reservoir. This worked on my friends cbx550F when he could not get pressure.

front brakes on bikes can be a bugger to bleed because air gets trapped in the master cylinder and keeps pushing new fluid through without actually disappearing itself. Some levers even have a bleed screw on the master cylinder.

The best way to change the brake fluid is not by emptying the fluid out - but instead flushing the system with new fluid - keep topping up the bottle and pump the new fluid though - that way you will not get the problems with brake pressure.

• 5 months later...

sorry to bump an old thread, but im having the same troubles on my clutch on a yzf750. i stupidly pumped out the fluid with the hose disconnected. then replaced the seals in the slave. put it back together and now i cant get pressure.

any ideas? ive used a bleeding tool, but i cant get the master to suck in any clutch fluid, tried filling the line and slave, and still nothing....

im now trying leaving it with the cap off and the lever tied to the bar, ill leave it over night and see if the bubble comes out.... any other suggestions?

cheers

David

brake bleeding can be frustrating, sometimes i end up reverse bleeding the system, close off bleed nipples and fill reservior, make sure reservior is positioned above the hose of system so its at highest point for air to come up too.then you pump the brake lever in and out about half way and you should get bubbles as you do this,, it can take long time !! but if all else fails then worth a go.just keep pumping only half a stroke at a time, sometimes you only need to pull lever in a lil bit and you have air pissing out. you can also clamp off each brake hose one at a time , this will tell you where air is,, if lever goes hard if clamp rh side off then thats where air is, if clamp both side and lever hard then air in both sides etc,,, if your bleeding the normall way make sure the bars are turned to left lock so master cyl is at very highest point. good luck, and time will tell.

Hi there,

what I normally use is a tool called a mitivac, which is attached to the bleed nipple and the tool causes a vacuum when used pulling the fluid through, another way is to attach a piece of rubber hose between the bleed nipple and an old oil can fill the can with brake fluid and pump the fluid in reverse, this works well with clutches.

The mitivac has never let me down.

good luck..

not familiar with the bike but removing the calipers and tip the bleeder nipples straight UP, you can also set the calipers higher than the master block and bleed.

begbie , ive heard the mitivacs work great too.

A light tap on the caliper will help free up any trapped air ;) a bit like winding the baby :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondered if you had succeeded yet?

I've the same prob (YZF750 too), tried pulling lever half way, tried with brakes off the bike on a bench, calliper sideways, calliper bleed valve upwards, tapping them, pistons pushed and held in with packing, lever tied up for days, new master cylinder seal, just about everything I can think of that's worked on other problem bikes.

Have braided hoses so not sure if I can clamp.

Any other advice please?

I actually sucked the fluid through the caliper with the lever compressed. I used a clear pipe so i don't drink the stuff.

then I routed the hose over and in the m/c resevior so once the fliud starts moving all air is expunged within the resevior.

I also then simutanisly compressed the lever and opened the bleed screw on caliper, kept the lever to the bar and shut off the bleed screw. That's because i noticed it just kept pushing the fluid back and forth via the clear pipe.

when it stops going back and forth and reaches back to the m/c its easy enough to keep pumping and the new fluid keeps recycling. Read this in CCM by Chris "writebike" pearson!!