My leg is tired

death star
This post is 5768 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, I think I may have posted my original question on the wrong portion of the forum so forgive me is mistaken. Just got a 1983 TT600 with a seized piston. Rebuilt the top end with new piston, rings and liner and got ready to fire it up. No spark. Bruce in this group was nice enough to suggest trimming back the HT lead and reconnecting since they were prone to corrosion there. It worked, got bike started after umpteen kicks. Now bike is still hard as heck to start when cold. I know the valve timing is good since I triple checked it before buttoning back up. Have taken the primary carb apart and adjusted the float level ( it was off by a ways) and cleaned all jets and orifaces. low speed needle 1.5 turns out per manual and have tried an additional 1/2 turn to no effect. The plug that came with the bike looks practically brand new but do not have another one yet to switch out and try. After what seems like a million kicks I pull the plug and it is dry, just a hint of fuel smell to it and even then not very strong. I know the carb has fuel since it drains out the drain plug. Any suggestions? Still a weak electrical system? I know the previous owner said it was a bugger for him to start too. Thanks for any advice, Neil :huh::huh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Neil.....

I had a similar situatuion with my '82 XT550.....until the stator coil finally gave up....but me still learning the electics of this beast.......ended up replacing the primary coil as well as the CDI box before determining that the stator was the guilty culprit all along. :rolleyes:

Happy to say it runs like a Champ now & has been for the past 2+ years. ;)

Maybe have a check on those voltages?.....it might determine where your prob is originating from? :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Hello there!! My story is the exact same....82 TT 600 new piston,sleeve cuz it was siezed and the previous owner thought coca cola would unsieze it.When it came time to start this elephant I had to take a day off from it!!!very fustrating....Found it had inconsistant spark,checked eveything over and found one of the wires in the plug from the stator to the cdi was pretty much broke off.fixed that now has good spark ,put my boots on and started kicking and could tell the difference right away when it started kicking back and afew pops n bangs later it finally started..What a feeling,till it stalled,ten kicks later fired up again,let it warm up good,shut it off and tried to start it again forget it.I ordered a manual decompresser for it like my XR 500 has,hopfully it will work as well or I'm gunna have one big leg.......good luck with yours

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online