6v/12v semi-conversion on a 6V Yamaha

ahilis
This post is 6211 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The bike is a brand new DT175 from Yamaha South Africa. I desperately need to change my headlamp housing and the one of choice uses an H4 bulb. I am battling to find a 6V H4 35/35 headlamp globe in my area. I have just seen them on http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm , so I know they exist now.

However, I have measured the AC output of my magneto and I'm getting around 6VAC on the leg feeding the 6V headlight and 12VAC (13.5VAC max) on the leg feeding the 6VDC rectifier/regulator. Could I simpy run a 12V bulb on the 12VAC leg, in parallel with the rectifier/regulator, eliminating the need for the 6VAC output? Even a 60-watt 12V bulb would draw less than my 6V 35-watt bulb, so unless each of these two outputs from the magneto has it's own maximum current, it should work out nicely. I'd be getting a much brighter bulb and drawing less from the magneto. This would let me run a 12V headlamp bulb, which I could replace quite easily from any auto spares shop, and keep the rest of the system 6V. The cost would be nothing. But will it work?

I've heard of others replacing their 6V regulator/rectifier with one from a 12V bike, then switching all thier bulbs to 12V bulbs and letting their horn be louder. I don't have a wiring diagram for this bike, so I'm not able to tell if my igniter/coil runs on 6VDC from the battery of if it's selfcontained, getting it's power straight from the magneto...which would mean I wouldn't have to mess with that.

Anyway, thanks for any insight on the matter and keep well!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online