intermittent spark

sigmatero
This post is 6136 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought my first dirtbike tonight, Yamaha RT180, and it started up easily enough at the sellers and ran fine. When I got it home I couldn't get it to start. I replaced the gas, drained the float bowl, etc.

On checking for spark by pulling the plug, grounding it, and cranking the bike over I'm noticing that there won't be a spark for maybe 15-20 cranks and then it will come on for a dozen or so and then go off for a while again. Really weird.

Can anyone shed some light on what's happening? I really need to get this bike working reliably since it's elk season.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As it's the elk season, I will not help you.

Aw come on, I might pick your draggin-elk tail up on a trail someday :)

Still need to get his frustrating thing fixed. I was up until 2:30 this morning trying to figure it out. *&^% electrical problems drive me nuts.

How long is an elk in season?And how fast do you need to go to catch her? :lol:

I see what this group's all about...

As an update... I went home at lunch and the bike sparked and started with no problem. I couldn't reproduce the problem from last night.

Really weird... and scary.... because when I'm in hot pursuit of that elk I don't want to have my steady steed get weak in the knees and make we walk out of there.

Still interested in ideas folks might have. Besides to chase women instead of elk...

I see what this group's all about...

As an update... I went home at lunch and the bike sparked and started with no problem. I couldn't reproduce the problem from last night.

Really weird... and scary.... because when I'm in hot pursuit of that elk I don't want to have my steady steed get weak in the knees and make we walk out of there.

Still interested in ideas folks might have. Besides to chase women instead of elk...

Hi Mate

Might be obvious but have you checked spark plug, supressor cap, ht lead,coils, if any of these are arcing this will cause an intermittant spark. Hope this helps in your quest for Elk or Women, whatever's slowest! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online