2000 R6 with oil in airbox

mike888
This post is 6215 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Ok bought this bike about 4 months ago and I think I bought a rough one.

I thought when I bought it the problem was just down to poorly setup carbs.

The bike wont pull off at low revs and I am getting a lot of oil in the airbox although that might be my fault for putting in 5w40 oil ?

Now the bike wont start and im pulling my hair out does anyone know what might cause an R6 to not pull off without reving the bike to death and cause oil to go into the airbox and then for the bike to stop starting.

Thanks for any help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get it to a dealer and get them to look at it. Anyone trying to answer why it won't start is just stabbing in the dark, although there are some obvious thngs you can check to begin with.

1) Is there a strong spark at the plugs.

2) Has the bike been stood with petrol in the carbs, if so then you may need to strip and clean them.

Oil in the airbox can be caused by several things. First wheelies cause all sorts of problems such as this. Second, blocked cranckcase/head vents. Third overfilling with oil.

Why did you put that oil in it?

thanks for helping

I put oil in as oil light came on and dip stick showed the bike to be low in oil.

I cant do wheelies.

I did take the bike to a yamaha dealer and all they could say was I had high crank preasure?? so could blocked cranckase/head vents cause this and where would they be blocked.. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I dont know a thing about engines. Although I did get the bike started from bumping it but as soon as i turned it off it wouldnt start

Yes I must agree it sounds very much like a shagged piston causing crankcase pressue, you will need to do a compression test and compare your findings with the bikes spec. As for not starting if you have shagged pistons/rings the plugs have probably oiled up. Pull them out have a look if they are black and oily its going to cost you.

Adam.

Yes I must agree it sounds very much like a shagged piston causing crankcase pressue, you will need to do a compression test and compare your findings with the bikes spec. As for not starting if you have shagged pistons/rings the plugs have probably oiled up. Pull them out have a look if they are black and oily its going to cost you.

Adam.

Cheers guys

anyone wanna buy a used bike one carefull owner(shame about the other 2).

stange thing is I just put fresh petrol in and she started first go but wouldnt start once she got hot.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online