wheel pitting

keith_eric16
This post is 6197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI all, im wondering if any one can help, i have some pitting on the rim of my wheel, its polished alloy, i need to find some one reasonably priced in the north west uk, that can polish this out for me, all suggestions, even diy, will be appreciated :D

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Start with 220 grit sand paper to remove the pit marks from every where that you want to shine. What is important is to go always in the same direction with the sand paper strokes. Try to go with the existing "grain" of the metal. Removing the pitting is a long pain in the ass process. You will have no finger prints left after polishing. From 220 comes 320 to remove the scratches left from 220. I recommend wet sanding all the grits. Wet sanding will help to keep your work area clean and it makes a big difference with the higher grits. The grit sequences I use are as follows: 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and if needed 2000.If you don't mind investing some money buy an orbital sander. This will greatly reduce the polishing time and wear on your fingers. When you have completely removed all the pitmarks, redo 220 by hand to remove all the swirls left by the sander. If you decide to use the sander only use it for the first grit. The only "trick" involved is not to get into a rush to complete it. I really can not stress this enough. If you do not completely remove the scratches left behind from the previous grit you will always have scratches visible. When ever I think I am finished with one grit I always go over that same area again one more time with a fresh piece of paper to ensure I have all the scratches out. I recommend to keep using the same piece of paper until it is smooth so you are using it to gradually remove the scratches left from a fresh piece of paper.

:thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online