78 enduro 175 wont start

winky460
This post is 6220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys. new to the forum and the motorcycle world. me and a buddy have a 78 yam enduro 175 and we are LOST. we had starting problems with it and it ended up being a bad spark plug wire. we changed that out and it ran great. now out of the blue it wont start period. i turned the fuel off and tried pourin a little gas directly into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and nothing still. I know its getting gas but im a LITTLE (ok a lot) lost on the spark. It DOES have spark to it, but im wondering if its to weak. I can hold onto the wire when im kicking it over and it barely shocks me. i cant hardly even feel it. i know on my newer yam 4 wheeler, holding onto the wire bout shocks your arm off. Where should i start? Im not sure how to check the coil on em and not really sure about points and whatnot on them either so ANY help would be great. (also forgot to mention it has 130 pounds of compression) Thanks again, Jared

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Sounds like it could be weak coz you should get a good belt off it when you kick it over. Things to check

1. Don't assume that because you changed the HT lead it is ok - check the connections and try another just to make sure.

2. Take off the cap and see if the spark is any better from the bare HT lead.

3. Make sure the LT side of the ignition is ok - so check condition of points, gap and make sure timimg is ok.

4. Check the wiring and connections from the points etc to the coil - make sure the electrical connections are good.

If all this fails you probably have a faulty coil - but this is rare it's more likely to be a poor connection or LT fault .

Good luck

:D

Thanks for the fast reply on this. Now sorry to sound dumb but can u explain a little for me? not sure what the HT and LT stand for. Also can you tell me what the gap is for the points on the bike or a place where i can find the gap for it? thanks again!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online