smoking r6

richking
This post is 6216 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi ive just bought a 2001 r6 with 1800 miles on the clock. when i boiught it , it was fine but after taking it for an mot it came back with white smoke coming from the exhaust. has anyone else had this problem? i rang the previous owner and he said the engine needs setting up with it being stood for so long. any help would be good

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

White smoke would tend to indicate water, but how much smoke is coming out ? Is it thick smoke or just a slight trail of it.

It is possible that being stood for a long time there could be a build up of condensation withing the engine. I would recommend giving it an oil/filter change and checking the spark plugs as an absolute minimum. Then give it a good ride to make sure the engine warms up for quite a while a couple of few hours at least to make sure condensation is evaporated away.

White smoke would tend to indicate water, but how much smoke is coming out ? Is it thick smoke or just a slight trail of it.

It is possible that being stood for a long time there could be a build up of condensation withing the engine. I would recommend giving it an oil/filter change and checking the spark plugs as an absolute minimum. Then give it a good ride to make sure the engine warms up for quite a while a couple of few hours at least to make sure condensation is evaporated away.

ok thanks it comes out when its started from cold while the choke is on then not realy on tickover but when i rev it it comes out quite a bit. i was hoping it wasnt anything major but i think its looking that way. if i did a compression test would it tell me anything i dont realy want to strip the engine if i dont need to?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online