battery charging problems on xv250

jlokas
This post is 6216 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Anyone :rolleyes:

my bike is a '89 xv250w "route 66"

I was hoping someone could point out things or components to check to solve my problem.

the problem is basicly that i cant start the bike.

this is what happens when i try to start:

i turn on the ignition, and the lights come on. then I press the starter button, and the lights dimm, and fairly quickly fade. i cant even hear the starter moving at all.

i have tried jumper cables, and with the cables connected for a little while, the engine starts. however if i ride for a bit and stop the engine, it wont start again 'by itself'

the battery is 3 days old, and was charged overnight before i put it on the bike, so to me it seems that it somehow doesnt charge while riding, or that it's draining somehow while not running.

ANY pointers and/or tips on what to check will be great!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds more like a Voltage Regulator could be your guilty culprit. :headscratch::unsure:

that sounds more plausible.. but i'm not so big on the electrical system.

would you happen to know how i might test that teory?

a little update:

turns out that my father, who actually fitted the battery, didn't fill it with enough fluid prior to charging. :angry:

i'll do both tomorrow, and also whip out 'ye old' voltmeter, and see if there's any improvement. fingers crossed.

So.. now i've refilled the battery and charged it, and the bike fired up fine.

but the voltage from the generator was a bit lower than the voltage on the newly charged battery, so i'm wondering if the lights draws power from the generator or the battery?

if the battery just powers the starter motor (and lights before startup), it shouldn't be a problem, but if the lights also draws power from the battery while the bike is running, the battery won't be able to regain the power in the long run, and i will just have the same problem in a few days.

does anyone have or know where to find specs for the electrical system on the '89 xv250w?

sadly i dont have a repair manual.

You should see 14 volts +, when the engine is running above idle. If not the battery is being discharged by the lights.

thanks for the tip, i will check it out when i get off work.

and i assume you mean that should measure the voltage output from the generator, since the battery is 12v?

maybe a stupid question, but again, i'm not so big on electrical stuff.

thanks for the tip, i will check it out when i get off work.

and i assume you mean that should measure the voltage output from the generator, since the battery is 12v?

maybe a stupid question, but again, i'm not so big on electrical stuff.

You can measure the voltage at the terminals. Clean up the engine /frame ground and ensure that the terminals are tight. This will ensure that there is maximum charge for thew battery.

i went to the woman who sold it to me, and asked for my money back, since she didn't mention the charging problems. i just didn't feel that it would be worth it, and besides, it getting to cold now anyway.

so case closed :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online