XJ petrol gauge

wob
This post is 6242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, just found the site and fairly new to biking so hoping I can pick some brains from time to time. I have an xj900 divi which is in great nick for the year but the fuel gauge has packed in - not the end of the world, but wondered if there's an easy fix?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You can carry a rusty steel rod and dip the tank. That will cost nothing.

However the tank sender probably requires removing and cleaning and if this works you will know straightaway. Also on the wiring diagram find out if there is an inline fuse. Check this is OK. Also check the wiring and terminals are still good.

You can carry a rusty steel rod and dip the tank. That will cost nothing.

However the tank sender probably requires removing and cleaning and if this works you will know straightaway. Also on the wiring diagram find out if there is an inline fuse. Check this is OK. Also check the wiring and terminals are still good.

Thanks yoda, the rusty steel rod sounds perfect

Most XJ's buy the time they were a few years old the petrol guage was knacked, unless you caught it in time it will be beyond repair now, you can some times get them on e-bay from a broken bike still working but more often you have to purchase a new or patern one. What I did when mine died was to carry petrol in a small aluminium Sigg (.06l) flask under the seat and that got me to a petrol station when that tank went dry.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online