XS400 Insufficient power to crank and spark. Aftermarket Ignition?

monza1962
This post is 5834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Everyone.

This is my first Yamaha, a 1982 XS400 Maxim. I am very disappointed that it does not have a kick start. Upon cold start, the engine cranks but will not start. Intermittently I will get some rumble, even once it started on full choke but promptly died as soon as choke was less than 100%.

I cursed the bike and left it out back. The next day I hooked up my starter/charger, gave the bike an extra 50 amps and the bike sprang to life without hesitation. I took the choke off, and it idles fine. After idling for less than one minute I killed it, then waited a moment and started it again. Started fine. Drives fine.

So obviously the bike needs anything other than completely cold condition to start. And it was 80 degrees F outside. I live in NYC, winter time the bike has no hope.

SO MY QUESTION IS..........

Can someone please recommend an aftermarket ignition system or stator system which will produce better spark? And that doesn't cost as much as I paid for the bike (which wasnt a lot)???

I know this seems to be a common problem on these bikes, the weak stator/power output but it seems my bike is the bastard year model without a kick start! All the info I have discovered seems to be several years (at least) old and the parts are impossible to find or no longer exist. Any help would be great. Thank you.

In addition: I bought this bike sight unseen to be turned into a cafe racer. It seems the model isnt quite right. No kick start so I cannot remove battery. Seat frame angles up in the back (as its a Maxim, whatever that is). So if anyone is in the NYC/Tri State area and is in need of a 1982 Yamaha XS400 Maxim, I've got a deal for you!

Seth

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thank you for the suggestion. The battery is actually new. I replaced it after I brought the bike home. Along with the fuel lines and filter. After checking all of the coil (prim/sec), etc. I determined the charging and ignition system is in proper order. I starting the bike using a starter/charger connected to the battery. It started find and has started fine ever sense, even when it is cold and not connected to the starter/charger. Apparently the starter/charger scared away the little trolls. Now to sell the bike.

I find it doesn't matter what people call the land I am standing on at any given moment, I will always be Norwegian.

Torgrim Knutson

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online