New YBR - Need to go on a long journey!

Talya
This post is 6241 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just got my YBR today and I know I have my first service at 6 weeks.. unfortunately I'll be back at university by then, but there's another problem.

Manual says don't take revs over 6000 before you've done 600 miles... I'm going to need this on the A roads down from Surrey to Southampton at the end of this month... Will I really damage the engine if I do this?

Also I'd need to run it back up here to get the dealership to do my first service...

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Er dense question time, if you're not due back at college until end of the month (and I'm presuming Sept here) weather permitting why don't you get out and just ride it and see if you can clock up the initial 600 miles before slogging down to Southampton?

Cheers.

Amanda

Er dense question time, if you're not due back at college until end of the month (and I'm presuming Sept here) weather permitting why don't you get out and just ride it and see if you can clock up the initial 600 miles before slogging down to Southampton?

Cheers.

Amanda

Well I'd have to do 20 miles a day to get up to 600 in a month.. I don't think I can manage that as I do work...

Well thirty miles takes less than an hour so what's your problem?

Running in a motorcycle is not a speed limitation but a load limit. The idea to limit the rpm is a catch-all so that even the lowest common denominator can look after their bike. The idea is that this complex machine will bed in and if anything is going to fall off it will do it at low speed. The rev limitation on the engine is to free up the bearings and not load it too much when the bores are tight and not fully lubricating. It is just as bad to rev under load as to not rev enough creating the same situation.

So running in means being light on everything.

OK so basically I am screwed?

Both me and my boyfriend are doing 3.5 day intensive courses for our full licenses.. would it be alright to use our bike for this or is it better to use the school's?

(Just thinking that that would get our mileage up considerably)

If you feel competant enough to use your own bikes, do so but just remember that the engine on a new bike needs to get hot. Therefore should be run for a length of time when started. Stop/starting new engines is a no no.

Training centre said better to use their bikes cause of insurance, etc.

How much will the first service cost me if I don't have it done at the dealer I bought the bike from?

You can thrash a bike from new, many people do. These days with such high tolerances that manufactures can meet bikes don't really need running in like the days of old. All that really happens is that a new bike trashed from new will be a little noisyer but will be quicker. A bike treated with kids gloves won't quite be as fast but will do quiter.

But I'm putting a disclaimer on that as nothing in life is guarenteed.

First service should only cost around £45

You can thrash a bike from new, many people do. These days with such high tolerances that manufactures can meet bikes don't really need running in like the days of old.

True but they will be lower powered by default.

All that really happens is that a new bike trashed from new will be a little noisyer but will be quicker. A bike treated with kids gloves won't quite be as fast but will do quiter.

Not quite so true.

But I'm putting a disclaimer on that as nothing in life is guarenteed.

First service should only cost around £45

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online