XS400 Repair Manual

jeffcycles
This post is 6076 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased a '78 400 2e with only 8200 miles on it. This is my first bike and I would like to learn to perform maintenance on it myself. I am mechanically inclined and have a history as a bicycle mechanic, so things like swingarms/suspension/chains etc. come easily to me. When it comes to clutches and engines, anything other that simple repairs require SOLID photographs and concisely explained directions. The bike came with the original xs360/400 manual, but its zeroxed photos and badly edited content leave me a little confused. I've found both Clymer and Haynes manuals, but wondered if either one has a better reputation. Both are online, leaving me unable to check them out.

Jeff...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I recently purchased a '78 400 2e with only 8200 miles on it. This is my first bike and I would like to learn to perform maintenance on it myself. I am mechanically inclined and have a history as a bicycle mechanic, so things like swingarms/suspension/chains etc. come easily to me. When it comes to clutches and engines, anything other that simple repairs require SOLID photographs and concisely explained directions. The bike came with the original xs360/400 manual, but its zeroxed photos and badly edited content leave me a little confused. I've found both Clymer and Haynes manuals, but wondered if either one has a better reputation. Both are online, leaving me unable to check them out.

Jeff...

Haynes are pretty consise with clear picts and understandable text.

les

Jeff...

I'd also get a parts book, as this illustrates all the parts and you can phone suppliers with parts numbers.

I have haynes, Clymer and Yamaha manuals which differ in their presentation. I would say Yamaha manual to have the most information with torque settings and diagnostics etc

I'd also get a parts book, as this illustrates all the parts and you can phone suppliers with parts numbers.

I have haynes, Clymer and Yamaha manuals which differ in their presentation. I would say Yamaha manual to have the most information with torque settings and diagnostics etc

Thanks for the quick reply. The first order of business will be replacing the chain and rear sprocket (the front looked excellent). I've got my hands on a 39 tooth. As the original was a 37, I hope the jump doesn't alter the setup too much. Any thoughts on this change?

Thanks for the quick reply. The first order of business will be replacing the chain and rear sprocket (the front looked excellent). I've got my hands on a 39 tooth. As the original was a 37, I hope the jump doesn't alter the setup too much. Any thoughts on this change?

I would try it as you will get better acceleration. I had a similar setup and i was great. fuel consumption was worse and you tended to race other bikes/cars up to 80mph, so engine life would be shorter.

I now run 1 tooth over just to tame my red mist ;)