Has your 06-07 R6 engine blown?

pcola
This post is 5818 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just had my 06 R6 with 3490 miles on it, no engine mods and 3 months out of warranty take a crap! The dealer tells me it needs a new crank, rod and bearing(s)! This is my 3rd Yamaha sport bike and I have taken them all to the track(no stunting)and the first time anything like this has happened. Yamaha is willing to pay for the parts but no help with the $2100 labor bill! This has gottem me to do some research on other forums and it looks like it may be more common on this new R6 engine.

I don't find it acceptable that a bike that still has the ORIGINAL tires with 3490 miles on it; cost $9,299 bucks, should need a new crank etc...

Even if I spend the $2100 to get it fixed, I have a bike where it is apparently acceptable for the engine to crap out on you every other year! I don't want to hear anything about the fact that this bike has been on the track and therefore, "it's the risk you take"! Right now, Yamaha is running a promotion where they throw in a 12 month NESBA membership with any new R6 or R1 purchased. I mean, do they know what NESBA does???

I hate to do this as I have loved the performance of the Yamahas in comparion to the Honda and Kawasaki I've owned, however, I am speaking with a lawyer this Wednesday and need any one who has experienced a similar issue with the new 06-07 R6 to share how Yamaha has handled their problem!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest R6 DYS

HI IN REFERENCE TO THE ENGINE BLOWN ON THE NEW R6

I HAVE AN 2006 R6 IN ENGLAND AND AFTER 6 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP YAMAHA WROTE TO ME WITH A CALL BACK ON THE NEW R6

WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT THE AIRBOX SCREWS WORK THEIR WAY LOOSE (DESIGN FAULT) AND THE SCREWS CAN GET CAUGHT IN THE THROTTLE BODDIES I AM NOT MECHANICALLY MINDED MYSELF TO THE DEGREE OF IF THIS WOULD AFFECT YOUR SITUATION OR NOT BUT MINE WENT IN AND HAD WORK DONE ON THE BIKE IT HAS HAD A REDESIGNED AIRBOX COVER ALL DONE THROUGH YAMAHA

WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOURS HAS HAD THIS WORK DONE OR NOT AND IF THIS COULD OF AFFECTED YOUR BIKE

(I.E METAL TRAVELLING THROUGH THE BIKE ENGINE)

DEEPEST SYMPATHY MATE AND I HOPE YOU CAN GET SOMETHING SORTED SOON!

R6DYS

Thank you for the sympathy. Yamaha recalled all the R6's in the US for that exact problem and mine had it done back in April. So I am certain that did not attribute to my problem. I've had read on other forums that Yamaha has admitted to an oiling problem in the engine allowing the internals to heat up/expand and thereby failing!

Again, thanks!

Pcola

• 11 months later...

I would fight that all the way. Trading standards state that Items should be fit for purpose and obviously your R6 isn't. I'm sure the equivalent laws in the US state roughly the same. My 06 R6 has 38000 miles on it and I've had no probs!

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online