fed up! dragstar starter motor

rockinn7
This post is 5815 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I purchased a 1100 dragstar new in 2004 cash! it always sounded a bit 'KLUNKY' starting,but last week 15/8/07 klunk.....then whir whir....stripped starter off to find shaft sheared off at the bearing! gutted! had to strip crank case off (along with side stand, footrests etc!) to retrieve stub and sprocket! off to J.T's in bridge end s.wales (yamaha dealer) to be informed new starter will be.....THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX POUNDS!!!! so by the time ive saved this summers fuckin over and i'm greasin bike for winter storage! then i'm told..."common fault that mate"! look out for "dragstar for sale" next year...........any one had similar problem or know where i can get a re con? cheers all

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I purchased a 1100 dragstar new in 2004 cash! it always sounded a bit 'KLUNKY' starting,but last week 15/8/07 klunk.....then whir whir....stripped starter off to find shaft sheared off at the bearing! gutted! had to strip crank case off (along with side stand, footrests etc!) to retrieve stub and sprocket! off to J.T's in bridge end s.wales (yamaha dealer) to be informed new starter will be.....THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX POUNDS!!!! so by the time ive saved this summers fuckin over and i'm greasin bike for winter storage! then i'm told..."common fault that mate"! look out for "dragstar for sale" next year...........any one had similar problem or know where i can get a re con? cheers all

not too sure but try the blackbird site and look up jaws, he helped me rewind alternater really cheap and is full of usefull info on most bikes. good luck

• 1 year later...

Hi bud, I have just had exactly the same problem, I have had to put a non genuine starter motor on my Dragstar 1100 the first replacement lasted 10 days then blew up, I have since been sent a replacement for the replacement! and now on my 3rd starter motor so fingers crossed, I see that you were told that this is a common problem!!!!!!!! oh shit! do you know what causes them to go? or if anybody else out there knows please any help would be appreciated.

eBay - £157.

Pray your starter clutch doesn't go.

That'll be £700 easily!!

Not an amazingly common fault, but it does happen.

eBay - £157.

Pray your starter clutch doesn't go.

That'll be £700 easily!!

Not an amazingly common fault, but it does happen.

got another off ebay mate....lasted 8 month! just bought a new one from yamaha (J.T's in bridgend s. wales) nearly 400 QUID! was gonna buy triumph american or dragstar... went for yamaha for "reliability" JOKE.... should o gone back to triumph or dare i say my harley days! when my dragstar goes yam never again........ to be fair its been good in every other respect..... nb yamaha gears make life easy! FIT A FUCKIN KICKSTART or sort ya shit out or brits will desert ya in droves!

TBH, I've never known any other 1100 starter to go.

There are ..... (counts)...... seventeen 1100 Drag riders locally that I know and none have had this issue.

Reliability??!!

Thought that was Honda :D

Yamaha are all about even-handed coolness!!

Everyone has a few brain-failures, though.

Honda have the DN-01

Yamaha have the FJR1300 with Chip Controlled Gear Shifty-Bollocks thing.

TBH, I've never known any other 1100 starter to go.

There are ..... (counts)...... seventeen 1100 Drag riders locally that I know and none have had this issue.

Reliability??!!

Thought that was Honda :D

Yamaha are all about even-handed coolness!!

Everyone has a few brain-failures, though.

Honda have the DN-01

Yamaha have the FJR1300 with Chip Controlled Gear Shifty-Bollocks thing.

17 lucky mo fo's then! even handed coolnes aint so even handed when ya pushin a big v twin while your mates on bsa a10's and bonnies take the piss out of ya "rice rocket" try it not funny

17 lucky mo fo's then! even handed coolnes aint so even handed when ya pushin a big v twin while your mates on bsa a10's and bonnies take the piss out of ya "rice rocket" try it not funny

Have tried it, actually.

My 650's at the age where stuff starts to wear out.

Battery went at 1.30 am in the middle of town when all the pubs were kicking out and pissed wankers are all laughing at the 'Hells Angel' trying to push-start his bike....

If they're proper mates, they'll shut up and help!!!

Then take the piss once it's fixed :D

Have tried it, actually.

My 650's at the age where stuff starts to wear out.

Battery went at 1.30 am in the middle of town when all the pubs were kicking out and pissed wankers are all laughing at the 'Hells Angel' trying to push-start his bike....

If they're proper mates, they'll shut up and help!!!

Then take the piss once it's fixed :D

yeh they did help and take the piss.......as for pissed wankers i find them a lot easier to knock out than sober wankers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online