Final Drive (pumpkin) ratios & interchangeability

viragohard
This post is 6239 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

G'day all, I'm a newb at this site and I'm seeking some info on final drives (pumpkins)

I 'm looking for some advice and info on Yamaha final drives. What I'm thinking of doing is to change the FD ratio in my '98 XV1100 Virago , which is currently 32/11. I understand that Yamaha made a few different ratios for their large bikes.

Does anyone know if the FDs are interchangeable between different models. Some FD casings do and don't have shock mounting lugs. Do V-MAX casings interchange with late model Viragos?

Also can different pinion and ring gears sets be swapped between different model Yamaha casings, or are they model specific? If so I might just be able to use the gears out of a different model and swap them into my Virago FD case.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, and if I decide to go ahead with this idea, I will let you know how it goes.

Viragohard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.