SR 125cc help

wansell
This post is 6239 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me, I've just purchased a Yamaha SR125. The engines keep cutting out, even when the engine is warm.

It also doesn't like starting with the starter motor either, and the batteries charge doesn't last long, so I'm having to bump start it all the time.

Any one got any ideas, I'm not very mechanically minded, but do have a haynes for it. But this only help if I know what the problem is.

Thanks to anyone and everyone.

Wayne

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me, I've just purchased a Yamaha SR125. The engines keep cutting out, even when the engine is warm.

It also doesn't like starting with the starter motor either, and the batteries charge doesn't last long, so I'm having to bump start it all the time.

Any one got any ideas, I'm not very mechanically minded, but do have a haynes for it. But this only help if I know what the problem is.

Thanks to anyone and everyone.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I have the same bike, and the Haynes manual, and it has similar problems to yours.

Take a look at the front few pages of your manual - it should have a Q & A section which lists common problems. One of them is as you describe and it gives you a rundown on what to do to fix it. Basically, the answer is to start with the spark plugs (check gap, firing etc) then move on electrical bit by electrical bit until you get to the CDI/TCI.

I spoke to a mechanic about mine, he said CDI/TCI is costly to replace but, more importantly, he would go through the same process as described in the manual (i.e. check everything else first) which would be quite costly in terms of time and labour.

I cleaned up the plugs, checked the gap, and now deal with it when it cuts out which isn't as often as before, but I do look a right wally when I've just pushed my way to the front at traffic lights only to have the damn thing cut out at the worst possible moment!

Other than that, I love my little baby.

Good luck,

Angela

Hi All,

Thanks for your help, well the problem was a lose Spark plug...!!! Did the fault diagnostic at the front of the Haynes manual, got to the part about checking the spark plug and we could undo it with our fingers.

I think a new battery will solve the starter motor problem.

Thanks again

Wayne