Newbie girlie rider sez hi/help!

GirlieRider
This post is 6121 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Wotcha everyone

So ok I'm 43, over 18 years married and am on my third go at starting to ride :D

Attempt No 1:

When we lived in Los Angeles for hubby's job in 2001, I thought good weather, nowt much else to do with my time (not allowed to work, shame, and no kids) why not?! Did California Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, bailed first one 'cos of extreme heat and major blisters on my hands!! Bought a brand new Kawakasi Ninja 250R in girlie yellow and purple paint scheme (doesn't seem to be available anymore). Lots of practice on parking lots in Winnetka area where we lived in the Valley aided by my lovely patient hubby. Loved my bike, BIG cheesy grins every time I rode it. Went back on the course October 2001 and passed - Hubby lost his job the very next day!!!! Sold my bike to a neighbour and flew home 3 weeks later.

Attempt No 2:

Mid life crisis, took UK CBT August 2003 with a mate of ours, what is it with me and riding in heatwaves?! We nearly melted that day but felt pretty confident and enjoyed it. Then I bottled it. Used lack of funds as an excuse to not get a bike but truth wuz I lost my nerve.

Attempt No 3:

Retook CBT this August and got a bike quick smart.

Settled on 56 plate YBR125 in red. Only bin out once since but managed to get going and not fall off. Trouble is I picked up an old problem on this CBT and I need to work on curing it.

I have trouble with throttle control, instructor said I'm possibly dropping my wrist which makes right turns, u-turns and figures of 8 a 'mare!!! Anyone got any sage words of advice/tricks to try?! Once we find somewhere off road where I can practice lots I'll stick at it till I sort it. Promise.

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the MadHouse GirlieRider

Just keep on Practicing!!.....

Experience is a Helluva teacher. ;)

Cheers! I spent an hour on the bike Friday evening at a local car park and managed to get quite a few right turns/u-turns in, whoo hoo! Now I need to learn how to brake so I don't nose dive the front everytime ;) The front disc is great but it don't half grab :D

Your trying too hard and overdoing it. Calm down and be more relaxed, just take it easy.

I know!! This morning we went to the Chamber of Commerce car park, nice n quiet apart from a chappie doing stunts on a BMX push bike in the end lot. Set out some cones and did lots of braking practice - getting much better, much less nose diving! Mind you you can tell when I cheat and use the back brake 'cos it squeeks like mad. ;) Thank goodness for a patient encouraging hubby. :D

Any Ipswich locals going to the Suffolk Ride Pitstop day at Orwells on Sat 22nd Sept I'm aiming to be there on my own bike with hubby on his BMW. See you there.

Wotcha everyone

So ok I'm 43, over 18 years married and am on my third go at starting to ride :D

Attempt No 1:

When we lived in Los Angeles for hubby's job in 2001, I thought good weather, nowt much else to do with my time (not allowed to work, shame, and no kids) why not?! Did California Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, bailed first one 'cos of extreme heat and major blisters on my hands!! Bought a brand new Kawakasi Ninja 250R in girlie yellow and purple paint scheme (doesn't seem to be available anymore). Lots of practice on parking lots in Winnetka area where we lived in the Valley aided by my lovely patient hubby. Loved my bike, BIG cheesy grins every time I rode it. Went back on the course October 2001 and passed - Hubby lost his job the very next day!!!! Sold my bike to a neighbour and flew home 3 weeks later.

Attempt No 2:

Mid life crisis, took UK CBT August 2003 with a mate of ours, what is it with me and riding in heatwaves?! We nearly melted that day but felt pretty confident and enjoyed it. Then I bottled it. Used lack of funds as an excuse to not get a bike but truth wuz I lost my nerve.

Attempt No 3:

Retook CBT this August and got a bike quick smart.

Settled on 56 plate YBR125 in red. Only bin out once since but managed to get going and not fall off. Trouble is I picked up an old problem on this CBT and I need to work on curing it.

I have trouble with throttle control, instructor said I'm possibly dropping my wrist which makes right turns, u-turns and figures of 8 a 'mare!!! Anyone got any sage words of advice/tricks to try?! Once we find somewhere off road where I can practice lots I'll stick at it till I sort it. Promise.

Cheers.

Alot of times this can be your arms are too short for the handle bars. Try having the bars adjusted back towards you. Also sit as far forward as you can even on the edge of the tank. Other than that it just takes alot of pratice, Good Luck.

If you are doing U-turns and such in which you keep jabbing down on the throttle. You could try putting it into 2nd gear. I'm not sure how powerful your bike is but for me I start in 1st to get going then put it in 2nd and keep the RPMs low. Even in 2nd if you jump down on it and your tach is at 2k you'll be okay because you won't be in your power for another 4-6k RPMs. And for a U-turn you could put it in 2nd and use a lot of clutch to keep from stalling out.

Also for the turns you could possibly let go of the throttle and then bend your wrist downward some that way when you do accelerate your wrist won't go much farther down and you won't be putting heavy throttle into it.

Thank you so much to everyone for the feedback/encouragement/suggestions it's really, really appreciated :D

I'll get hubby/mates to look at me riding n see if my arms are too short for current setup (not beyond the realms of possibility, I'm only 5'4"!!). Meanwhile see photo/avatar, if anyone can spot any obvious flaws please let me know.

Atlantasmittee84 thx for the pointers, will try/note for next practice session - rained off for a coupla days, boo :angry:

Nigeee best o' british with your CBT. If u r doin' it at Wharfedale Rd don't take any stick off Rob, give as good as you get ;)

Cheers!