knocking with clutch engaged

andyc
This post is 6214 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Wise ones,

I have a 2002 fazer 600 , recently noticed that at low speed a very noticeable mechanical knocking which disappears if i dis-engage the clutch. The bike has done 19K. the knocking is very audible. Could this be a typical system of a worn clutch. The clutch does seem very snatchy and the lever range of engagement is very small i.e. within the first 20mm of pull. Have adjusted the cable & will test again soon.

Thanks for any advice

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello Wise ones,

I have a 2002 fazer 600 , recently noticed that at low speed a very noticeable mechanical knocking which disappears if i dis-engage the clutch. The bike has done 19K. the knocking is very audible. Could this be a typical system of a worn clutch. The clutch does seem very snatchy and the lever range of engagement is very small i.e. within the first 20mm of pull. Have adjusted the cable & will test again soon.

Thanks for any advice

I did a quick test today , put the bike on the centre stand started it in neutral , noticed that when the clutch is pulled in and released still in neutral that there is a slight grinding..ish noise. Proceeded to put the bike in first and with the clutch pulled in the rear whell spins ( slowly and can be stopped by hand ) not sure if this is expected with no weight on the bike , again engaging the clutch produced a grinding ...ish noise. While in first and clutch engaged the chain was jumpimg a bit but i suppose that because its on the cente stand ? . Not sure where to go from here except dismantle the clutch to ave a look. While riding also noticed that the knocking only seems to occur with some throttle applied i.e. if freewheeling in gear down hill no knocking but if feed in a small amount of throttle the knocking is back .........any ideas appreciated

Seems like pulling in the lever does not fully disenguage the clutch and is therfore causing drag.

It also could be that all of the clutch cable and linkage requires lubricating and adjusting. Further, It is possible that the internal clutch mechanism is damaged or the clutch has now worn out.

You will have to check it out step by step. Keep us informed.

• 3 weeks later...

Removed drive cover and it looks like the drive sprocket is completely worn out , not a good start but i if this is the cause i cant explain why the knocking is not more frequent unless theres also a twisted or snagged link on the chain.

The sprocket looks so worn that the teethe are alsmost like sharks teeth with a curve. Could this be the cause , i will be replacing the whole drive chain anyway.

Might be that the sprocket is hooking up the chain and it's snagging off every now and again. Swap the sprockets (best to do both and if you can afford to do the chain it's best to do that as well. Then you'll know for sure. A quick test and not a solution to ride around on would be to flip the front sprocket round so the good side of the tooth is pulling the chain. Don't leave it like this for long through.

Might be that the sprocket is hooking up the chain and it's snagging off every now and again. Swap the sprockets (best to do both and if you can afford to do the chain it's best to do that as well. Then you'll know for sure. A quick test and not a solution to ride around on would be to flip the front sprocket round so the good side of the tooth is pulling the chain. Don't leave it like this for long through.