2006 Yamaha R1 Headlight Issue

shandistorm
This post is 5765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

i currently have an issue i would like some help with please.

i have a 2006 model R1 and numerious people i have been following home at night have informed me that when they view me in there mirrors my main headlight looks like i am constantly flashing them(going from normal beam to high beam and back) !! I have had a look and i can see nothing loose, is this a current issue with the 2006 model???

Its annoying me now as other bikers think i am flashing them to inform them of a problen with their bikes when i am not. Please help?

Has anyone else found this with the 2006 model? can someone go check theirs to see if its the same or not for them... i let my brother take my bike out last night and i got ahead of him and it does look like the beam going on and off all the time with the movement of the bike. I know they have this new fan dangled light system with reflectors but i didnt think it would cause this problem...

Many thanks

Bernie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 year later...

No it's not the height, it's exactly as you describe. My 2005 R1 does the same. I have replaced both bulbs (from H7 back to stock) looked for shorts and bad connections. I have even hooked up a voltmeter and ridden with the damm thing on the tank with the bulb in and without to see if it's some sort of extreme voltage fluctuation at the socket; which was less than a volt difference from when tested. Also at least on my bike, it wont happen if the bike is in Neutral and parked, I can reb the engine with no noticeable brightness fluctuation; as soon as you put it in gear and drive the problem manifests itself. I am guessing that there is a difference between how the lights get power distributed to them when the bike is in neutral and when it's under load. <_< The only thing I can think of is that maybe that one volt of fluctuation makes the bulb brighter since the lights are magnified it makes a difference.

I am out of ideas, but I would like to get this fixed before I piss off somebody that tries to run me off the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, I hate to sound like an asshole, but dude, it's your Projector lenses. The way a projector lense works is that it focuses the light in a specific area, and if you hit even the smallest bump in the road it's going to make your low beams "flash" if you will, because thats causing that tight beam of light to bounce up at your fellow riders. That's why they say that it seems like you are flashing your headlights at them. No matter what you do there is nothing that's going to fix that. Whenever I'm riding with my buddies, they usually ask me whats up because they thought I was flashing them. But now they know it's the projector headlights. Trust me, there aint NOTHING wrong with your headlights. Even notice on a high end car, whenever they hit the throttle, the lights from their projector lenses gets brighter or even changes color (usually to a purpleish or blueish color, which is what mine does. With my bike if I standing still or if you are watching me come at you down a super smooth road and a higher vantage point then my beams look SLIGHTLY blueish. But if I hit the throttle, the lights show a BRIGHT BRIGHT white. They only "flicker" or "Flash", if you will, because the light beam coming from your headlights is so tight an focused at a specific distance ahead of you, that whenever you hit even a slight bump, or even crank back on the throttle a tiny bit, it's gunna look like your lights are flashing them. Nothing you can do, unless you completely custom fabricate a new headlight housing using old fashioned "reflector" style lighting, where the bulb sits surrounded by a reflector (rather than being behind a round piece of glass, like your projector lights are). But I wouldn't recommend that, because you will greatly sacrifice your light output or quality by doing that usually. And screw if your buddies think you are flashing them, tell them to get used to the fact that your shit has projector lenses and to not freak out all the time. And if any of the people you ride with KNOW bikes, then they SHOULD know that your bike, having projector lights, is going to "Flash", lol, I mean come on. You can continue to try and remedy the situation, but I can guarantee you are going to get nowhere. Glad I could help.. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online