Just bought fz750 anything to look out for

OF.uk
This post is 6240 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, went to Hungary on my TDM850 a couple of weeks ago and ended up selling it over there (not planned) and flying home. When I got home I regretted it and quickly looked round for a cheap bike and put a deposit on a 1990 fz750 genesis which i'm picking up tonight. It was a spur of the moment buy as I don't know anything about these bikes having previously owned a few cx 500's, an sv650s then the TDM.

Is there anything I should be wary of reliability wise? The bike and owner seem pretty straight. I was told it had different carbs on it, that it had recent fork seals, chain and sprockets, seat etc. He said the choke was a pain until warmed up, the engine sounded quiet enough considering 39000 miles or so. The bike's not perfect but then again I didn't expect it to be after 17 years ( and I'm paying very little for it anyway).

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Paul , It seems as if we are both on a similar road, I bought a FZ 750 genesis 1989 in April this year with 40,000 km on the clock, it is in great condition and I have done 5,000 kilometers in two months with only one glitch , the rear light seems to blow the fuse when I have two lamps in , I have not had the time to take the multi meter to it yet (to busy riding it ) but will keep you informed, travelling in Germany at high speeds (140k-180k)for 700k consumed half a litre of oil and it averages out at 250 k to a tank. tyre wear is average and even and it handles great on the 16" Dunlop K330 front and Bridgestone B45A 18" rear. Have fun and heres hoping for an Indian summer .

Cheers for the reply.

Unfortunately my bike seems underpowered. I've only had twins before, the last 2 being an sv650s and a tdm850 but expected more from the fz. At 70mph I open the throttle and it "thinks" about going faster before slowly increasing in speed(probably just needs carbs setting up properly) and the chain needs replacing as there's a hell of a tight spot. At the sort of value the bike is worth I'm not sure it's worth me spending any money on it. I may just sell it on and try to recoup most of what I paid for it and buy something else......So if anyone wants a 1990 fz750 genesis, taxed til the end of november and tested til April 08 for £550 give me a shout. I'm not desperate to get rid and may get it sorted so please no silly offers!

Cheers,

Paul.