Help with PW80

pw80bikerider
This post is 6246 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Please help, I recently bought my son his first bike, a 2003 Yamaha PW80. He loves it but all of a sudden we started having problems. It is very hard to start now, I have to drain all the gas out of the carb before I can kick it over. When it does start it won't idle at all. You have to keep the throttle open a little or it will die. The worst part is that it now blows oil out the tail pipe! I mean alot of oil, it will cover a 2 or 3 square feet area behind the bike.

Please help don't know what to do and my son really loves going out and riding.

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Sounds like one of the oil seals has gone.

Is the bike using 'gear-box' oil ?

If you can't get it to idle it could be an air leak in one of the seals on the Power Take Off side - but if it is using oil it sounds like a gearbox seal.

Check the spark plug for colour to see if it is oil fouled - if necessary disconnect the auto-lube system (if it has one) and use a 20:1 mix in the tank - see if that makes a difference.

If its an oil seal - fraid its and engine dismantle job - but they are not too difficult on the small engines - and if you are going that far I would consider doing the bearings at the same time.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I have removed the top end and bought new piston and rings. I should be finished with the re-build by this weekend. The plug was burnt so I purchased a new one. If this is not the fix I will move on the the Oil Seal.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online