Steering

R1 Nutter
This post is 6258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a rear wheel lock up yesterday and couldn't stop my R1 on a roundabout before I hit the cerd. I hit it at a slight angle then the front wheel is not pointing in quite the same direction as the handle bars. Its still ridable but a feels a bit strange is this is major problen to fix or an easy one, if so then how?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Hopefully you've not bent anything but just twisted the forks in the yokes.

Put the bike on Paddock stands and then support the bike in the middle with a bottle jack and some wood. and jack it up until the font just stays on the ground. Take a not of how much fork is sticking out of the top yoke

This will take the weight off the front end, allowing you to loosen all the yoke clamps at once without affecting the form height to much. When all bolts are loose, just grip the front wheel between your legs and wiggle the bars a little bit, this should centralise everything again if nothing is bent. If you need to adjust the height of the forks, jack the bike up or down slightly accordingly.

Now tighten everything back up and all should be ok.

Cool. I called a garage today and they said the same thing. I checked the the right hand fork and its up inside the yoke more by anout 7mm. So will take to them to fix, they said it will be about £20 labour to sort it out.

Thanks for the infomation, spot on!