76 XT500 power loss while riding

snoproblem
This post is 6269 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This bike has a new battery. After riding for a week (2 hours back and forth to work) with no problem, while turned off for a momentary stop it wouldn't start again. After a day of sitting it started and ran for about 15 minutes then would not start. Cleaned the overflow from the battery (excess acid) and it ran like a dream for a day. Last trip after about 45 minutes on the road lights and instruments got dimmer and then went off completely and engine quit. Can anyone point me in the right direction at what to look for? Electric is not my strong point. Downloaded a service manual but doesn't seem to help. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds very similar to the symptoms I had once with my XT.......ended up being the stator coil, which is on the left end of the crank I believe :headscratch:

The site admin over here......YamaThump......is a wizard with old XT's ;)

I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.......he certainly did with me. :thumb:

& for the record.......here's a great source for factory electrical componants ;) .......MotoGrid

Sounds very similar to the symptoms I had once with my XT.......ended up being the stator coil, which is on the left end of the crank I believe :headscratch:

The site admin over here......YamaThump......is a wizard with old XT's ;)

I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.......he certainly did with me. :thumb:

& for the record.......here's a great source for factory electrical componants ;) .......MotoGrid

[/quote>

Thanks YamaHead, will check out the stator coil. Thanks also for the link!