T reg R1 strange noise from engine

TomR6
This post is 6280 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. Hope someone can help me. I've just bought a T plate R1 with a knocking noise coming from somewhere on the engine. I've checked the valve clearances and changed the cam chain as a local yamaha dealer told me it was the cam chain. No joy. I'm about to strip the engine out and replace all the rings, bearings, gaskets etc and wondered if anyone was aware of any common faults on the engine that I should know about. This is a project so I'll be taking a couple of weeks or so to do it.

If the weather gets better then I'll be thrashing my R6 and therefore take a couple of months to do it! LOL.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers matey. I'd already stripped it down by the time I read this and it was the big end bearing on pot no 1. I just couldnt locate the noise on the engine even with a stethoscope.

Should be rebuilding it next weekend.

Many thanks for getting back to me.

Good news to anyone with a 4XV model R1. After 24000 miles the pots were absolutely gleaming. Use the best oil you can afford!

Guest Tomg

wow bloody hell you sound quite ahandy person to have around if you can strip and rebuild an engine that quick!! stick around mate!! i was going to say that sometimes they do jsut make an odd noise, my hornet for example makes a very slight knocking noise every once and a while when in neutral, this is simply the clutch which is a common hornet thing, obviously yours isn;t a hronet but ti thought it might give you an incling!

but congrats to findig fault fast!!

tom

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online