MCN tests the new naked FZ6!

Pete
This post is 6594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I don't understand this you know! :roll:

They pick up on a quite a few negative points...

No centrestand....the original Fazer had one.

Lumpy at low revs round town.....the original Fazer is the smoothest bike I've ever ridden at low revs.

Brakes not up to it and are only 2 pot calipers.....the original Fazer had the R1 4 pot calipers.

No storage under the seat....the original Fazer has.

Difficult to get a good foothold on the sidestand......the original Fazer was no problem.

No bungee points.....the original Fazer has.

Tall gearing......the original Fazer is spot on.

Dimpled seat that holds water on it.....the original Fazer hasn't got this.

Notchy gearbox......the original Fazer hasn't.

And at the end of all this....what's the verdict bearing in mind that the new model is £500 more than the old one?

The NEW FZ6 is a far better bike! :roll:

WTF planet are these idiots on?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Got MCN in front of me hadnt had a chance to look at it yet, the ducati looks interesting but looks like at a glimpse it gets beat by the r6 at everything :lol:

That figures! :roll: ......I really had my heart set on maybe getting one this year :x

Oh well, I really couldn't afford one anyway :wink: ........sure wish I could get my hands on last year's model :? .....I'd probably end up paying for it TWICE :shock: by the time I got it shipped back over here :roll:

• Admin

Heres an extract i think it does sound pretty postitive overall though;

MCN's Trevor Franklin has spent the day testing Yamaha's new naked FZ6 and we got his first impressions as he stepped off the bike.

"The FZ6 is one of the few bikes that just feels right as soon as you get on it. With a lot of sports bikes it takes you a while to get into the feel of it, but with the FZ6 everything feels good from the word go. In that respect it is similar to Honda's Hornet 600 but the Yamaha just pulls it off much better."

The FZ6 captures the best of both worlds with enough power to make it fun but a smooth enough delivery to make it practical around town.

Franklin continued: "It's the kind of bike that makes you want to use the whole rev range. The top end is tighter and crisper than the old Fazer and it really screams all the way to the 14,000rpm limit. It is a little fluffy in the lower revs though."

The handling was the thing that Franklin found most impressive: "The stock set-up is excellent, with a good balance between comfort and a firm ride. The ride is very stable and it rolls into corners rather than dropping in suddenly."

The only real downside he could find was the brakes: "They're just a step back in time. The old bike had Yamaha R1-derived calipers but the FZ6 has got simple two-pot affairs that just aren't very good at slowing you down. And they get worse in the wet."

• 4 months later...

I went to my local yamaha dealer and really liked the looks of the FZ6. I have 2 questions. Have you guys found a kit for removing the front fairing? I'd like to give this bike a true hooligan look like the Honda 919 or the Ducati Monster. And maybe bolt on an old style cafe racer wind screen? Also, with the pipes placed under the seat, have you noticed any problems with heating of the seat? Or complaints from the passenger from seat heat?

• Admin

Yeah get the naked one :oops:

You dont get much space at all under the seat thats the biggest prob :shock:

No exhaust seat issues on the FZ6....the fumes and hot seat were just a Gay Honda perversion! :lol:

Incidentally, the last I heard was that Honda are refusing to accept it as an issue....obviously basing themselves on Suzuki's Customer Services agenda then!

Still....if you buy a Gay Honda or a Shitzuki you expect to get your ass burnt! :lol:

• Admin

PMSL :lol: Actually we should add them to the censored word list :wink:

Hey, now I've had 2 awesome ancient hondas, I'm still rideing around on my 82 v45, I just think the 599 isn't worth $7100, and The yamaha's stock seat is a hell of a lot more comfortable, but I wouldn't go as far as call honda gay.

I'm worried about the seat issue, because it was the yammy dealler that brought that up. I imagine if that happened, it could be nice in the winter, or an excuse to get some low micron exhausts in the summer.

How long a cruise have you gone on yours? Most of my trips are in washington DC, but i'm planning a ride to mexico and another to canada. Thus the search for a new bike..

but I wouldn't go as far as call honda gay.  

News for you Jesse....Hondas have been called Gay for over 30 years.

The ad campaign "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" and The Hondelles (do a Google search) were the cause of it.

• Admin

They have some nice marketing girls though 8)

image16.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm newe here, mabey I missed something. I have a 2005 FZ6 and it is as smooth as they come. Power is up there too. the SV650 can't touch it! And for the hot seat issue, honda must have started a rumor. What does trouble me is the shifting, it is a bit touchy. The only way to get a smooth shift is to only slightly use the shifter. Other wise it feels a bit jerky. GO BLUE!

• Who's Online (See full list)