bulldog tyre blues

bulldogmarek
This post is 2678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all BT1100 experts

I've just bought a 4yr old Bulldog, all sweet, except for the handling - damn thing is so twitchy, and in the wet the rear constantly spins up (only 65hp for *** sake!). It's on new Metzeler MEZ4 ZR 120/70f - 170/60r - any info on these or any other replacement tyres (and handling tweaks)?

cheers

Marek

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all BT1100 experts

I've just bought a 4yr old Bulldog, all sweet, except for the handling - damn thing is so twitchy, and in the wet the rear constantly spins up (only 65hp for *** sake!). It's on new Metzeler MEZ4 ZR 120/70f - 170/60r - any info on these or any other replacement tyres (and handling tweaks)?

cheers

Marek

Hi Marek

I think there are so few Bulldog owners in the UK that you probably won't get much of a response on this site. In fact I think it's a hugely underrated bike, but as the UK is so sports bike orientated nobody has given it much thought. I have one and rate it very highly, in fact I had one new in 2002 and have just picked up another new 2006 one, and having owned at least 50 bikes in my time, its the only bike I have ever gone back for a second dose of.

Both of mine came on MEZ 3's which are fine, although with some spirited riding on the first one the back lasted just under 2500 and the front was shot at 4500. I would expect the MEZ 4's to be OK and will probably last longer. I assume you have checked the pressures.

If you want to learn a lot more about the Bulldog, register with the German forum, WWW.BULLDOG-BT1100.de. You don't need to be able to speak German as once you've registered and can get into the forum you will find that there are English language sections, and that's where most of the British riders of Bulldogs post. In addition to tyre info there is a lot of info on engine, carb and chassis tuning. The Bulldog was/is a big seller in Germany, also in France, Netherlands and of course Italy.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 years later...

Hi Marek

I think there are so few Bulldog owners in the UK that you probably won't get much of a response on this site. In fact I think it's a hugely underrated bike, but as the UK is so sports bike orientated nobody has given it much thought. I have one and rate it very highly, in fact I had one new in 2002 and have just picked up another new 2006 one, and having owned at least 50 bikes in my time, its the only bike I have ever gone back for a second dose of.

Both of mine came on MEZ 3's which are fine, although with some spirited riding on the first one the back lasted just under 2500 and the front was shot at 4500. I would expect the MEZ 4's to be OK and will probably last longer. I assume you have checked the pressures.

If you want to learn a lot more about the Bulldog, register with the German forum, WWW.BULLDOG-BT1100.de. You don't need to be able to speak German as once you've registered and can get into the forum you will find that there are English language sections, and that's where most of the British riders of Bulldogs post. In addition to tyre info there is a lot of info on engine, carb and chassis tuning. The Bulldog was/is a big seller in Germany, also in France, Netherlands and of course Italy.

Cheers

Chris

Marek, and anyone else who rides a Bulldog. Get rid of the mezlers MEZ4's, odd wear and bad in the wet. Try Avon Storm ST that transform the bike. The best. others are Continental road attack, good on rough surfaces, soft, and Bridgestone 021's, precise steering but a little noisy.

Super bike - dont tell too many people!, keep the secondhand prices low! Let them all beleive the propaganda, who cares?

Ride safe. T

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I just joined so thought I'd throw in my twopence worth. Had my BT since 2011, I fitted Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart, I ride all year round, wet & dry and they've handled everything. Me and Bridgestones do NOT get along...., so personally, I'd avoid those like the plague.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online