Issues with using sea foam

Jakester
This post is 6290 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, I am a new member... and as you here with most new members I have an issue. I am a new rider and a new bike owner. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

I just bought a '91 FZR 600 with 19k miles. The bike is in good shape, but it had not been riden for a couple years... so I wanted to get the carbs cleaned out because idle was kind of rough. So after reading several good things from users about sea foam I gave it a shot... and I got myself in trouble... please read through and help...

The way I used the foam was running the bike for a hour or so then letting it sit for a day, and repeating. I did this three times... the last time I let the bike sit for 2 days without starting.

So, I got back to the bike and I can't get it started. The engine backfires a few times when I try to start it. But actually as I continue to try and start it I get less and less response from the engine. Till eventually I am just hearing the starter turn. I tried till the battery wouldn't turn it much anymore.

Soooo.. here is where I think I really goofed it. I hooked the battery up to my RUNNING truck. So I try and start it and now the starter won't even turn. I am confused... and I am concerned I hurt something at this point. I checked the fuses.. nothing blown. So I realize that the bike is still in gear... I was just using the clutch to try and start it. (which would normally work). I put the bike down into neutral and the the starter would crank again. ..... So, I think I blew something related to the clutch. I was looking at the manual and their is a "clutch switch" and it runs back to a device next to the battery. Also, running into this device is a line from a switch on the kickstand.

I will continue with what I did after, but can someone inform me as to what the clutch and kickstand switch are for, and if I possible damaged thedevice they run to by the battery? Would the bike not start if this is damaged? (By the way this device has the positive lead from the battery running to it as well then to the fuse box).

Since the starter would still turn while the bike was in neutral I continued to trouble shoot. I confirmed fuel was being pumped into the carbs, I confirmed that their was initial spark when pushing the start button. I sprayed starter fluid into the carbs.

While I am trying to start it.. I do see smoke coming from the exhaust, but the bike show no signs of being close to starting.

And for the record, before I used the sea foam the bike would start no problems... warm or cold it never had an issue.

Please help all you can, sorry for the long post.

Thanks, Jake

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online