2003 Yamaha r6 starting problems

eno33
This post is 6281 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright guys,

I have a 2003 Yamaha YZF-r6 ... after riding it for 15-20 mins the thing dies... the engine light pops on and wont turn back over... I took it in to the yamaha dealership to get fixed and they said it was the ignition switch... so i took it in and they put a new one in... well now iv had it for 2 days and i was coming home from school, parked it... 45 mins later i had to head to work, went to turn the motorcycle on and it did the same thing as it did when it died... but like in 2 hours it will run again.. any suggestions on what might be causing the problem?

Thanks, Travis

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright guys,

I have a 2003 Yamaha YZF-r6 ... after riding it for 15-20 mins the thing dies... the engine light pops on and wont turn back over... I took it in to the yamaha dealership to get fixed and they said it was the ignition switch... so i took it in and they put a new one in... well now iv had it for 2 days and i was coming home from school, parked it... 45 mins later i had to head to work, went to turn the motorcycle on and it did the same thing as it did when it died... but like in 2 hours it will run again.. any suggestions on what might be causing the problem?

Thanks, Travis

Hi there! Sounds like an ignition module breaking down. These are normally transistor based and degrade over time due to heat. The problem is that once they exceed the temperature threshold they may fail open or short circuit. The effect is that normally you get an instant cut out. Strangely after it's cooled down back down beyond the threshold temperature it will work again. Suggest you replace with one that you know is good (if possible) or use an ignition module tester and heat the unit up with a hair dryer. Could be completely wrong of course but it all sounds terribly familiar!

Kind regards,

Chris Heath

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online