DT125R Lighting/Charging

Zoom
This post is 6114 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know if the lights in the dt125r (1988) run off the battery as well as the lighting coil? My lights are working but only when the engine is running.

Also is there a quick way to check if the battery is charging? I've measured the voltage across a new (charged) battery fitted to the bike with the engine running and the voltage is 12.3 not between 13.3 and 15.3 stated in the Haynes Manual. This reading does not change when the engine is switched off. Any advice appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does anyone know if the lights in the dt125r (1988) run off the battery as well as the lighting coil? My lights are working but only when the engine is running.

Also is there a quick way to check if the battery is charging? I've measured the voltage across a new (charged) battery fitted to the bike with the engine running and the voltage is 12.3 not between 13.3 and 15.3 stated in the Haynes Manual. This reading does not change when the engine is switched off. Any advice appreciated.

hi mate not sure about years but my lights are on as soon as i turn the ignituion on so yes mine do run off the battery as well hope this helps my model is a 2006 1

Hi there, the alternator should always be outputting a higher voltage than the battery. If I recall correctly I think the dtr is the same as the tzr and the lights (I think) will run off the battery. You can do some basic coil checks for the alternator but the diodes are a little trickier to check because they're normally in bridge rectifier configuration.

Kind regards,

Chris Heath

Hi there, the alternator should always be outputting a higher voltage than the battery. If I recall correctly I think the dtr is the same as the tzr and the lights (I think) will run off the battery. You can do some basic coil checks for the alternator but the diodes are a little trickier to check because they're normally in bridge rectifier configuration.

Kind regards,

Chris Heath

Thanks Guys. You're right about the charging voltage - on further inspection found a broken wire to the battery hidden in the wiring loom - fixed this and saw the charging voltage across the battery go up to 14 volts with the engine running and drop back down to just over 12 volts when the engine is killed. So that's one mystery solved.

Studying the 1988 wiring diagram it looks like the lights only work when the engine is running as they are powered by a separate lighting coil. the battery does power the indicators, horn and brake light. The lights work when the engine is running. Seems an odd setup but maybe how it was designed. Would be helpful if there's anyone out there with a working 1988 model who can confirm this.

Cheers.

My 1998 Dtr Lights Only work when engine is running..

Dont think thats a Problem??

:huh:

Thanks. Looks like mine is working OK then. Let's hope we never break down at night on a busy road!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online